1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Getting out of the business" success stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chigurdaddy, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

This thread really is unnecessary. Getting out of the business is, in and of itself, a success story.

What I think we're seeking here is "getting into some other business" success stories.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and, this industry does suck ... a lot.

3. NDub

NDub Guest

I know a fellow who's written a few books and hopes that path takes off so that he can support himself if/when he leaves the newspaper biz.

I know of another guy who left the biz and went back to school to become a teacher. Last I heard he was the PR/media guy for a local bigtime company.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That is very true. When I first got into it, I was in my early 20s (well teens, if you count stuff I did as an undergrad). The business has just changed so much.

Problem is now I'm in my early 40s and seriously want out ---- it's just not an all-consuming passion anymore --- but don't have much experience doing anything else. I did news desk and some business stuff, but that's not any better.

It seems like going back to school to retrain would cost a fortune --- and I don't have that. (Heck, already in debt.) So I feel stuck. Any suggestions?

Draft saved Draft deleted