1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Getting out of the business" resource thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Aug 2, 2008.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm having by my standards what is not a great day at work, and it's better than 98 percent of the days I had at my last job and probably better than 50 percent of my days in the biz. I'll take it.

2. Stupid

Stupid Member

Getting out of the business can't come soon enough. The last 2-3 years I've watched my newsroom slowly crumble and one colleague after another depart. We lost our holiday bonuses 2 years ago and have been told no cost-of-living raises will be given. I have recently come to realize what a fish trapped in a receding body of water must feel like. I've never had much use for therapy but I'm seriously starting to think I need to talk to someone in this business. Trying to find another line of work after 18 years and at age 56 is daunting to say the least.

Fredrick likes this.
  3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It’s not working out. When my department’s lead left suddenly it left another newbie and I to fend for ourselves.

I wasn’t able to get an essential report done because I didn’t have the essential skills, training and knowledge to do it. It just really exposed why I’m not up to the job.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

5. Smallpotatoes

Liut likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

not sure this counts as a resource

wicked likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Every job I’ve taken, I’ve hit the mark at month two or month three or even sooner where I think I’ve made a MASSIVE mistake. Including this one, which I’ve grown to dig.

Sometimes you do know right away that you made the wrong move. But if you have the option, hang in there for awhile longer. At the very least see if you can pick up any skills that might help you to get the next gig.

Liut likes this.
  8. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

What are holiday bonuses?
    What are cost of living increases?
    I asked for a salary review earlier this month. The response, maybe February.
    Which means my ass is on the chopping block in January.

9. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Good for you. All I get is messages from financial advisors who would be stunned to learn I don't make enough money after 40 years.in the business to afford a financial advisor.

Liut and Smallpotatoes like this.
  10. Smallpotatoes

It’s become obvious in the last few months that my current job just isn’t for me.
    I’ve had some rough patches in all my years of sportswriting but nothing like this.
    I don’t know how much longer I’ll last. They’re having a hard time filling some unfilled positions and another guy is leaving soon so it seems it would be in their best interest as well as mine for it to work out for me, but we’ll see.
    I’m looking elsewhere and hope whatever is wrong here isn’t something I’ll run into anywhere I go with whatever I do.

Liut likes this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

SP, how's the gig going?

Just found out my old boss is leaving and hasn't publicly announced where his next stop is. And he's in one of those positions where you brag about getting a promotion when you get a promotion. I hope he slept with the wrong person or told the wrong person to pound sand.

I try not to trade in schadenfreude, but fuck it. Does nothing for me since I'm gone so long now and I'm in a better place, but my Wednesday was a bit better after seeing that news.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I trade in it the same way I did Fleer baseball cards in the 1980s and took immense joy in learning my former city editor, a person who shouldn't have been let near a wrapping paper let alone newspapers, was shitcanned four years ago. I have a glorious story about that that I'll add when I get home.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    wicked likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted