1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Getting out of the business" resource thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Aug 2, 2008.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My nutty place uses it. Even lists it on the schedule as such for newcomers. Two weeks of handshakes/lunches/dinners and about an hour of actual training.

8 months, 19 days until retirement.

Thinking of putting one of these on my desk at work. Only $15 on Amazon.

[​IMG]

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The term "onboarding" doesn't bother me when it's legitimate. Showing me where the break room is and introducing me to the IT guy who will fire up my machine is not "onboarding."

wicked likes this.
  3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I’m one week into the job. It’s pretty good so far. Very challenging. Interesting. I have a lot to learn but they seem to have faith in me.

I’m going to be on a different shift than the one for which I was hired, at least until they can hire someone else.

The only trouble is I had made plans based on having certain days and times off based on that shift. And remember that technical writing certificate program that I was going to do before I got this job? If I can’t get on an earlier shift, I won’t be able to make it to the classes. At the time I applied for the program, I didn’t think I’d be able to get a job like this. My girlfriend, however, still pushes me to take class and wants me to work something out with my boss so I can still take it, figuring maybe it might help me advance to something else at this company or if it doesn’t work out, I’d have a better chance to do something else. I’m not sure. After 3 1/2 years, I’ve finally landed the kind of job I was hoping to get when the paper eliminated my position. So I don’t really see the point of the certificate program now. I also don’t feel comfortable asking for a lot of concessions from my employer when I’m just getting started. Plus, you guys know me. You see the way I’ve responded to Dr Quant and Yankee Fan. I don’t think I’d do too well in an academic setting.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

5. Smallpotatoes

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I’m in favor of, whenever possible, expanding your skill set in an academic setting. I took an HTML class last year. I only got a little out of it, but my employer paid for it and it cost me nothing but a little time. Does your employer offer tuition reimbursement after a certain point on staff?

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

It doesn't have to be in either or. If your shift will change in the future, just wait to take the class.

wicked and Smallpotatoes like this.
  8. Smallpotatoes

This is probably the best idea. I have a lot to learn on this new job and want to give it 100 percent. It’s probably better to wait until I’m more established there before taking on something else.

Thank you.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Jeezus man ... talk about burying the lede. If, having landed said job you're happy with it (or think y0u will be), grab it with both hands and don't look back. This is not complicated.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Perhaps you could ask your manager/supervisor if getting the certificate would, in fact, help you in possibly advancing your career there. It'd be a way to open a conversation on the topic, and get some information that you'd like regarding possibilities and any support/encouragement of such things. It could give you a sense of if/when to do things.

Or, just do whatever you think is best. You're in more of a position of power now, and probably, in a more comfortable place, yourself, just by having the new position.

Congratulations on getting the job. I know it's been a long road, but I hope that helps you appreciate it and do your best with it. You earned it and got it, so just believe in yourself now and do the work. Don't mess yourself up by overthinking everything.

wicked and Smallpotatoes like this.
  12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I walked out of the newsroom 10 years ago today, and I've never looked back.

Draft saved Draft deleted