1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Getting out of the business" resource thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Aug 2, 2008.

1. agateguy

agateguy Member

Looking forward to it.

Meanwhile, here's another "what to do if/when you become 'involuntarily separated' from your job" link:

http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/in-news-bought-out-laid-off-share-your.html

2. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

Anyone have/had any experience as a car salesman? I got an offer from one my area's leading car dealers to begin as a salesman. They're paying for my training, and offer benefits (which my paper does not).

Thoughts?

3. fremont

fremont Member

From what I gather you can make some pretty good money but it's all dependent on your ability to sell - it's all on commission - sell something or make nothing. I'd hit a Toyota dealership and sell Priuses. :D

Good luck, man.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Shoot a PM to OTD and bitteryoungmatador. I know both of them have sold cars.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Everybody not named Toyota or Honda is getting their asses kicked in this environment. This is a miserable time to be in retail car sales.

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Exactly. You won't be finding a lot of people going out and buying cars nowadays. I'd stay away;=, very far away.

7. Possibly a relevant Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=30565981677&ref=nf

8. agateguy

agateguy Member

You have to be logged into Facebook for the link to work. It looks good, and could become a very helpful resource.

It's been up for less than a week and already they have over 700 members.

That said, I wonder if, for journalists with facebook accounts, if it might somehow work against them to be a member of a site like that? It SHOULDN'T, but I would be leery of how corporate might see one's membership in such a group, especially with corporations looking at things like Facebook and Twitter accounts when evaluating job candidates.

9. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

So, one of the first things they do at law school orientation is give a presentation by the office of job placement. The assistant dean opens with this:

"You couldn't have picked a better time to go to law school, the business is booming."

She uses a Powerpoint to show steadily rising lines for job placement (nationally) and starting salaries. She was very, very cheery and excited, as were the students.

It was, to say the least, a little disorienting for someone who's been through what newspapers are going through.

10. Reacher

Reacher Member

unless the law school is one of the top-tier schools, that person is lying

11. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Well, let's just say the accompanying powerpoint with stats from two national publications over a 10-year period offered a different opinion.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

OK, enough arguing over law schools. Let's move on.

All you lawyers/wannabe lawyers, what can you tell us about any possible legal recourse for someone who was "involuntarily terminated" if they believe they were targeted for unfair reasons?

Draft saved Draft deleted