1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Getting out of the business" resource thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Aug 2, 2008.

1. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Still here over a year later, but the feeling hasn't changed. I think I'm borderline battling depression where I'm at and need to get out. No social life, no family nearby, paid peanuts, and I'm starting to really hate going to work when everyone else is getting done for the day (this especially holds true on Fridays).

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I recently celebrated one year out of newspapers, landed at a newsletter. I am so glad to be out and can't picture going back to newspapers. I tried to get out for four-plus years, but I believe I got out when I was supposed to. In hindsight, I should have done more networking while in papers. My job literally landed in my lap and I couldn't be happier.
    For those who feel it's probably time to get out, it is time. Regular hours, not covering stuff at night, better pay, you won't regret it. I'm a newspaper guy at the core and was in the biz for 18 years. But I don't miss it one bit. Having said that, landing in a good place helps with that.

cjericho, Bronco77 and Cosmo like this.
  3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

As is well-documented on this site, I've been trying to find something out of the business for almost a decade. The only jobs I've been offered during that time are in-the-business jobs, and I'm worried that my luck may be about to run out in that regard, too.

4. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Recently interviewed for the marketing position I discussed applying for on the previous page. Was my first non-newspaper interview in eight years and an eye-opening experience. The CEO might have been 40, but barely. None of the other employees seemed older than 35, and most looked to be in the their 20s.

The benefits and perks also were impressive. Little things like free coffee, bottled water, soft drinks and fresh fruit in the breakroom (some of the places I've worked offered complimentary coffee, but that's all). Health insurance fully paid by the company (helping make up for the smaller salary). Unlimited PTO, although subject to supervisory approval (most employees stick to four weeks). That's in addition to the company shutting down every year during the Christmas/New Year period, providing an additional two weeks off. Twenty work-at-home days annually. The work day ends two hours early every Friday, and working weekends is frowned upon. Last but not least, a year-end bonus (typically 5 percent of salary). Can't remember newspapers offering most of these things even when they were doing well.

Did not get the job, but at least there was a rejection call. They decided to promote someone from within, which I understand -- go with what/who you know. Still, it was illuminating to interview with a company that seems committed to a pleasant workplace and work-life balance. I'm told that quite a few companies are adopting some or all of the things this company put in place. So it's definitely possible to "land in a good place" -- if you can somehow get hired.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

No it isn't running out. What kind of work have you been doing? What are you interested in? Not trying to sound all rah rah. but you can do something else. I worked about 10 years at one place before that job went away. Then I found a better place, but after less than two years that job went away. Then decided to try something else, and haven't looked back. Well, if I could get the same pay and benefits and write about sports I'd take it, but there are not many jobs in sports with the same pay and benefits. If you want PM me.

6. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

How do you know when is when to stop chasing the dream? It's so painful to get close, but then realize that close isn't that good anymore.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

When you've lost the will to do it no matter what it takes.

Eventually, once you've already put in a lot of time and effort toward your goal, you reach a point where you start weighing the work and effort it takes, or still will take, to get to whatever level you're shooting for. And eventually, when you realize that it isn't worth it to you to spend the time and effort anymore, especially without any assurance, or, often, without even any encouragement, to make you think you might ever get there-- well, then it's time to start thinking about something else.

Or, you might just already be thinking about something else, all on your own. And you might suddenly realize that.

Or, you might be doing it, but feel obligated to not let go, and so, you keep on trying, and keep hanging on.

Don't do that. There are other seasons, good seasons, just-as-good seasons, in life.

Bronco77 likes this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I reached a point two summers ago where I realized:
    a) I was still pretty darn good at what I did
    b) I made considerably less money than friends of mine who were 10 years younger and in more stable fields
    c) The route to move up from the mid-sized daily to something bigger had evaporated
    d) I was working for a lazy boss with no imagination who was drawing me down with him
    e) It was time to find something else

I was fortunate to find something that kept me somewhat connected to journalism, but I was exploring other ways to get out if my current job situation had never materialized. Was interested in getting into the beer industry, either as a sales rep or a distributor. But the summer of '15, that's precise moment I realized I no longer had the will to continue to work for peanuts in an industry that didn't give anything back to you. It was time. I was determined to get out of the business one way or another. If you're asking yourself this question, it's probably time.

Bronco77 likes this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

One thing I've noticed with some people is the industry beats you down so much that you don't feel like you can do anything else, or get out.

It's not a rational feeling, especially since most people in journalism are intelligent (and often street smart and good at reading people -- how else do you get someone to open up?). Those traits have to be in demand somewhere.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

In poker rooms, for starters.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Corporate comms. Same skills, better pay, less stress, better hours.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yes. In other fields, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted