1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Getting out of the business" resource thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Aug 2, 2008.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Agree wholeheartedly here. The "objective" field is a waste of space.

2. Michelle - Did you get out of the business? I wasn't aware of that.

3. I recently accepted a buyout from the AJC. My last day is Aug. 30.

4. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

I'm starting law school in about two weeks at a 2nd/3rd tier school (depending on the year and/or rating).

One of the thing I was pleasantly surprised by is that it's not that hard to earn a full scholarship to law school. If you look at the 25th/75th LSAT percentiles, anything over the 75th percentile at that particular school is usually going to get you a scholarship, often a full scholarship. My LSAT would have probably earned me a spot in a Top 15 to 30 school, but I would have had to relocate and pay full freight. Instead, I'm going to a lower tier school in my area for free, at least for the first year, after which I'll evaluate options.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They do that for old guys too?

6. jboy

jboy Guest

Agree x 3.

I read an article where they interviewed hiring managers, they said don't bother.

Here's a great tip from that article: Instead of listing "Objective", make a heading at the top of your resume titled "Summary of Skills" or something like that. In 1-2 sentences list your skills.

Why? Because hiring managers are so busy they only take a few minutes on each resume. They want to know what they need to know quickly.

For example:

Summary of Skills
    Five years as a daily reporter for a daily newspaper, producing 1,000 original articles, interacting with local officials and members of the public, coordinating special events and working independently to plan and execute a weekly budget. Also proficient in desktop publishing programs and intermediate web skills.

7. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

They do indeed.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Fuckin Chrysler plant law school here I come.

9. Wow. Hope you find a place to tell stories somewhere, in some capacity.

10. agateguy

agateguy Member

Is this still a possibility?

Every single day that passes, and the job losses that follow, render such a group all the more necessary.

One thing Bolles discusses is the concept of transferrable skills - everyone has job skills that they learn at one job and can take to the next.

It would be very helpful to at least have a list of jobs within journalism, such as reporter, copy editor, agate clerk, manager and page designer, and list the skills that could transfer to other careers. Sometimes people have no idea just what their transferrable skills are, which hurts them on when they're on the job hunt.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

I have to be qualified to do something other than work in a newsroom, but in two months of searching, I've only found a handful of job openings that even come close.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It's still a possiblity. I've just been crazy busy with stuff. After the Olympics, anybody who's expressed interest will get a PM about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted