1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Getting out of the business" resource thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Aug 2, 2008.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

If you're thinking about going back to school for comp sci, have you looked into data science? That seems like it might be your kind of thing. My brother does it and loves it. He also gets an insane amount of calls from recruiters because it's a high demand field right now.

(It might be a long haul education-wise though, since i'm sure many of the journalism courses do nothing for you).

RickStain likes this.
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I bet data science would fit more into most reporter's penchant for digging into information and finding what's interesting and important.

Lots of types of jobs withing computer programming, coding, IT, etc. Some of them seem to know barely enough to do their jobs (which is both comforting and alarming).

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well, it's all in motion now. After a ton of research, I think I've come up with a clever plan. I still have to confirm with the schools that I'm not overlooking any rules that would prevent it.

Because I very cleverly left school for a job offer one class short of a journalism degree, I can sidestep most of the restrictions on getting a second bachelor's. Instead of grad school, I can go back for an entirely different undergrad, and I've decided on computer science. I can go to community college for a year to get some of the lower-division classes out of the way on the cheap, then transfer to one of the less fashionable Cal States in the area, which do not have a cap on undergraduate credits earned. I should be able to do this all out-of-pocket, no student loans.

I'm officially enrolled in the local community college with the intent to take summer classes, and I can say with certainty that the local paper's lack of coverage of my Hornets is absurd and clearly shows their biases. I'm cancelling my subscription so I can focus more time on coming up with chants for the student section at the basketball games.

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Definitely stick with the CC courses as long as possible. Definitely talk with the Cal State college to confirm that every class you plan on taking at the CC WILL transfer over.

RickStain likes this.
  5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

RickStain likes this.
  6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good luck, BigStain. I hear computers are gonna be big.

7. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I've been on the job for just past two years now, but I'm strongly considering a change. I actually don't mind the work itself, but my personal situation doesn't allow for much career advancement, either where I'm at now or anywhere else. And while I'm getting by fine, I'm not close to being financially secure.

The only thing keeping me here right now is that I believe the department would take a serious hit if I'm gone, and I feel bad doing that to my current coworkers.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Your coworkers wouldn't care if the department took a hit if they left for a better opportunity, and the company that owns you sure as heck would have no problems with the department taking serious hits if they felt it was financially best for them. Neither should you.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

When I started in newspapers 22 years ago (WOW, that's depressing), the first thing a veteran told me is to remember, "the paper will always come out without you."

Don't hesitate one second in pursuing other opportunities, MNgremlin. If you find something else, your coworkers will adjust and — hopefully — will be happy for you getting a new gig.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

No one -- absolutely no one -- is irreplaceable.

wicked likes this.
  11. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Wasn't meaning to imply that I am. We used to have three PTs. A year ago, one left and hasn't been replaced (continuous ad in paper since, but no hires). I'm not the only one looking at getting out, either. So in a year, the sports staff could be cut from 5 to 2, and unless the shop is willing to offer more competitive wages for these spots, they'll likely remain unfilled.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That's up to the shop. You should do what's best for you, and what you want to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted