1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting out ... just to get out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hey Diaz!, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Thing I miss the most, that doesn't come up too often: Work that you SHARE with a whole lot of people. I have deadlines now. I do work I'm proud of now. But only a few people see it, compared to tens of thousands. And that's tough.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Great starting points.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Excellent point Dick Whitman. The sense of giving lots of other people enjoyment is part of the rush, too.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

i get a rush talking to naked athletes.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Did both of these after getting out. Started out teaching, and that actually led in to tech writing, which is what I do now (I need to write in a way that can teach people how to use our software). I enjoyed both.

6. JackS

JackS Member

The one I don't agree with on that list is sales. I get the point that was made, but sales requires someone who is much more amenable to failing repeatedly. Even the best salespeople are going to fail far more than they succeed. I could never do that one. None of us is perfect, but you can get a lot closer to it in journalism than you ever will in sales. We don't have to persuade people to part with their money.

7. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Indirectly, we do try and persuade people to part with their money.

8. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

The problem is all of these jobs are boring as shit. There is a rush that comes with deadline work that is hard to explain. I guess it's kind of like a military lifer's mentality. Horrible work, but once you get into it, what can possibly replicate it? I worry what I'll do when I reach the end of my financial rope, which will be sooner than later.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Yes, I'd really like this job. Are there naked people I can talk to?"

10. Teaching. Try it out. Many community colleges need publc speaking adjuncts and can waive the requirement to have a master's if they run out of candidates with graduate degrees.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I've thought about adjunct teaching recently, not as a way out but as something I might enjoy on the side. I couldn't teach public speaking, though.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

In my world, this has been very, very untrue.

I still have deadlines and get rushes from writing stories and putting out information. Only now, I help people rebuild their lives after a disaster tore them apart. Writing about hat tricks and saves pales in comparison to that. Not even close.

Draft saved Draft deleted