1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting into the business

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MMoore1985, Nov 12, 2012.

1. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

First of all, I want to wish you the best of luck. I'm in a quarter-life crisis myself, and it's tough to decide what the next move will be.

My suggestion, as always, is to stay away from this industry. The hours are terrible. The pay is worse. And you have no job security whatsoever. None.

If you want to freelance, great. Do that. If you want to blog, great. Do that. But do not, under any circumstances, try to make this a full-time gig. Unless you're amazing, it's hard to find a job anyway.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I never had them, and never plan too either. Having done this since the '80s, that ship has sailed. Not everybody has to have kids to be happy in life. I get so damn sick of that insinuation.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, not insinuating that at all. I'm just saying that if someone has children, free time and extra money become more valuable commodities in the battle with work pleasure.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Being a sports writer in the 1980s was a good career path. Your situation is not at all similar to MMoore1985's.

Given his resume, he probably couldn't get a full-time job at a 8,000-circulation newspaper in Wyoming. And he's 27.

I recommend doing what others said: Scratch the itch with part-time work. You'll be starting at a major disadvantage. Journalism school enrollment is way up right now, and even those crap starter jobs that pay $20,000 a year are highly competitive and getting applicants with two or three internships and reporting and editing experience at their school newspaper that goes beyond covering the hockey team.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I never, never ever, said go to work for a newspaper. I said follow your dream. If journalism is his dream, in whatever format he chooses, then follow it. If I recall correctly, he mentioned working online, too.

Point being: You get ONE life. Live it YOUR way.

Draft saved Draft deleted