1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting into the Beatles...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Feb 20, 2008.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Today is the 10 year anniversary of Harrison's death. While Lennon's murder is one of those, "where were you when you heard the news," moments, it's still hard to believe it's 10 years since George died.

Seems like yesterday. Time flies.

2. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Wow! Ten years, that's incredible.

I always thought he was the best Beatle. I know most will disagree though.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've been tentatively dipping my toe into John Lennon's solo stuff lately. The "Plastic Ono Band" is a really good record. "Mother" and "Working Class Hero" are classics. Sometimes he overreaches or seems a little self-important. Example: Naming two tracks "God" and "Love" on the same album. It's clear that Lennon saw himself as the kind of person to address such enormous topics in a profound way. I don't think his depth of thought matches his ambition, though.

Still, outstanding collection of songs, especially when he reigns it in a little bit.

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

In the humble opinion of this Beatles fanatic, "Revolver" is as good as it gets. Love "I'm Only Sleeping." Takes me back to when I was a kid and my mom would yell at me to get my ass out of bed.

5. Fantastic Harrison tribute

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I don't think I've posted it higher up in this thread, but the "White Album" would have been an utterly perfect progression from "Revolver" and "Rubber Soul," if the 18-month digression into psychedelic phantasmagoria had never happened.

"Good Day Sunshine" leads straight into "Martha My Dear"; "For No One" straight into "I Will"; "And Your Bird Can Sing" into "Glass Onion," and "Tomorrow Never Knows," in separate ways, into "Helter Skelter" and "Revolution 9." Even "Yellow Submarine" leads into "Don't Pass Me By."

It's almost like they stepped into a Star Trek transporter in Nov. 1966 and came out in summer 1968, not having missed a beat.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

If the original poster doesn't check out the Rutles after satisfying his Beatles jones, he's missing out.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Was in the library the other day saw the mammoth (700+ pages) new Lennon bio (entitled "Lennon") by Tim Riley that was given four and a half stars in Rolling Stone (surprise, surprise) recently.

Not sure how much more there is to say about a guy who has been dead for nearly 31 years, and after reading Philip Norman's massive Lennon bio earlier this year I won't be wading into this one anytime soon.

9. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Zeppelin, the Beatles and Pink Floyd changed my musical tastes (and my life) forever.

I still enjoy Abbey Road more than any other album, and the fact that it was at the end of their magical run is all the more impressive. The album is a whirlwind of emotions and went after many different styles, and that's why I enjoy it. You can be listening to "Octopus' Garden" one second and then trying to hold back tears when "Something" or "Golden Slumbers" comes on. Orgasmic.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Thought about this last week, when the new Rolling Stone hit my mailbox with yet another "Top 100" lists ... this one for guitarists:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-20111123

George Harrison is No. 11. And while it's a close contest, he's my favorite Beatle, too.

RIP.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I just got this one too, I thought RS just did this a couple of years ago.

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Abbey Road has always been my favorite album, mostly because George had such a heavy influence on it. (Yes, he's my favorite Beatle as well. Glad to see there's so many others with me. I feel like he usually gets lost after McCartney and Lennon.)

Let It Be is without a doubt my favorite song. Ever. Period. I love that song.

I watched the Harrison documentary that Martin Scorsese directed on HBO a few months back. Excellent documentary (Harrison's kid is practically his double) and I didn't know that George helped finance the Monty Python movies, which solidified him as my absolute favorite Beatle.

Draft saved Draft deleted