1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting into the Beatles...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Feb 20, 2008.

1. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

"Money" showcases one of the 2 or 3 greatest vocal performances in the history of rock music.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Being For the Benefit Of Mr. Kite strokes balls too. It's not even a good acid trip song. If I'm on acid, the last thing I want to do is fantasize about some 1830s calliopy-ish benefit concert or whatever the fuck that song is about. (Worst Beatles song? Hmm. Sounds like fodder for a thread of its own)

Anyhow, Revolver is a great place to start as far as the albums are concerned. Every Beatles' style is contained therein. It's the perfect Beatles album and probably the greatest album of all-time.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The Beatles tune I think is underrated is "I Will", off the White Album. Simple, quick, thoroughly touching little love song.

What impresses me about the Beatles is the complete scope of the spectrum they ran in their ever-short tenure. They started with pop songs so spectacular that they still hold up today. Then they completely revolutionized themselves and produced perhaps the greatest rock album ever, given its influence.... AND THEN they produce the White Alubum, Let it Be and Abbey Road.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This may be true. But I love that song because it's one of the most beautiful, simple, and short examples of how to tell a story. Not a lot of pop songs being written back then about loneliness and the fact that God might not exist.

Even though it's extremely popular, I still think it's one of the most underrated Beatles songs.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I wish "You Never Give Me Your Money" had been made into two different songs.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

"I'm Only Sleeping" is underrated. Love those lyrics. Reminds me of when I was a kid and my mom was bitching at me to get my ass out of bed.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Part of Lennon's "Insomniac Trilogy:" "I'm Only Sleeping" (1966), "I'm So Tired," (1968) and "Watching the Wheels" (1980).

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Huggy's most underrated Beatles songs; "The Night Before" and "Doctor Robert".

9. Eleanor Rigby and Lady Madonna are my two favorite Beatles songs. Edit: Forgot about Paperback Writer.
    My everything they have ever done is nothing less than good.

However, I raised on the Beach Boys, Barry Manilow and Neil Diamond

10. I'm a huge fan. I could post on this thread for literally hours.
    I can do without anything before Rubber Soul. In fact, even Rubber Soul barely makes it into a regular rotation for me.
    Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's are both incredible albums. The White Album has some incredible highs and a few lows. Abbey Road is amazing.
    You can't go wrong with any of their albums in the back half of their career.
    And their best song? A Day in the Life. A perfect blend of Lennon and McCartney.
    Some others are pretty amazing -- Paperback Writer, Yesterday, Eleanor Rigby, Come Together -- but I'll take A Day in the Life every time.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

More underrated Beatles tunes: "I'm Looking Through You", "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window".

And I'm porbably out of mind on this one, but I'll offer that the genesis/birth of 'hard rock' occurred with the heavy drum line in 'Ticket To Ride'.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Both good ones. But I'm with Okie: A Day In The Life is my favorite Beatles song.

Draft saved Draft deleted