1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting into the Beatles...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

White Album is sublime.

Dear Prudence is their most underrated song.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yep. Sexy Sadie is good, too.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Revolution # 9 never gets old

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Revolver is as good as it gets with the Beatles. Stones? I like Sticky Fingers. Nice variety on that one. Anybody know why Let It Be isn't on video or DVD?

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

And that piercing guitar and the rough, aggressive McCartney vocals in Helter Skelter floor me everytime. I mean this was 1968! I obviously wasn't alive then, but I can't imagine what people were thinking when hearing something like this.

6. Revolver is stil their best, for me.
    I, too, love the stuff where you can hear what a kickass bar band they must have been in Hamburg. Exhibit A -- Lennon's blasting cover of Barrett Strong's "Money."

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You can get a high-quality DVD -- well, as high quality as a 1970 hand-recorded film can be -- on eBay for $20. And I've had it on VHS for years.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I like the Grey Album.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Good call. I'd throw "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on that list as well.

I remember back in a high school English class, one day our activities consisted of picking/voting on the best Beatles song. Why? No recall of that, but it was 1979,so maybe that explains part of it.

Anyway, the teacher had 4 classes that she had do this. Three of the 4 (including mine) picked Back in the USSR as the best Beatles song. The other class picked Eleanor Rigby. Clearly, they were out in the parking lot doing bong hits before class.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Rocky Raccoon is my favorite by far.

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

OK, if you want to get into the Beatles, start with the Blue and Red albums. Then get Beatles for Sale, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, Meet the Beatles, Help, Hard Day's Night, Yellow Submarine, The White Album, Abbey Road, Let it Be, and Past Massters I and II.

That should do it. Acutally, as groundbreaking and varied at the White Album and Sgt. Peppers is. Beatles for Sale may be favorite album.

And, listen to Pet Sounds, too. It's McCartney's favorite album.

12. The only incorrect answer to "What Is Your Favorite Beatles Song?' is Revolution No. 9.

Draft saved Draft deleted