1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting into the Beatles...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

And for dessert, your musical chefs highly recommend "Abbey Road".

And if you want to continue the Pet Sounds/Sgt Peppers journey, check out the Rolling Stones "Her Satanic Majesty's Request" to see where imitation can fall flat on it's face--both in cover art and the music contained therein. Also, an excellent example of where acid/drug use really distorted the ability of the musicmakers to think clearly about just what the hell they were doing.

'2000 Light Years from Home' and ' She's a Rainbow' are great tracks that make up for the time listening to the rest of that disc.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Moddy, you would like the Beach Boys, you grungy little twerp.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. shockey

shockey Active Member

"rubber soul" was also as good as it gets. given their relatively short tenure ('63-70), the output from the beatles was nothing short of incredible. 8) 8) 8)

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

But they got it right with "Let It Bleed" --- inspired by "Let It Be."

And how can we be 14 posts into a Beatles' thread and no one's mentioned "Revolver" yet?

5. Captain_Kirk

hey, we all need someone we can cream on....

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm a bigger Stones fan than the Beatles (the wife is the other way around) but I love their early records up through Revolver. Those early records showed that Lennon and McCartney were not only killer songwriters and great, great rock and roll singers but they were a kick ass rock and roll band.

Stuff like Sgt. Pepper's and the White Album didn't rock anywhere near as much as I wished they would.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm going to agree to disagree with you there, but I love the Stones, too ... well everything up through "Some Girls," anyway.

8. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Yeah Huggy, 'cause "Revolution" is one of the all time great ballads :p

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

The White Album is their best work. The Beatles in their absolute musical prime. I could listen to this for hours at end.

10. Captain_Kirk

"Tattoo You" is a helluva album, Steak. Side 2 for us freaks from the vinyl era is just a string of outstanding rock ballads.

And "Undercover of the Night" has some good tunes as well. Beyond that, I would agree it's a steep drop off.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

God... I remember how Stones fans killed them for that when it came out.

I wore that fucker out.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

And you can throw "Helter Skelter" and some others in there but that's not my point. For an album like Sgt. Pepper's that's supposed to be the greatest in rock history there ain't a whole lot of rock and roll on there. Some great songs, yeah, but not something that sounds great blasting out of a CD player in the car. (I can crank Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed or Exile any day :)) To me the Beatles sounded more like a band in the old days, although listening to the suite section of Abbey Road always reminds me of those days.

Draft saved Draft deleted