1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting into hockey

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Nov 11, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That is the greatest game of my lifetime. I cannot be budged from this belief. It was still going when I left work that night, and I went out drinking, thinking I'd catch the replay on ESPN that started at 2 a.m.

I get home, turn the TV on at 2 a.m., right in time to hear the announcer say "Folks, this is live hockey, not a replay." Stayed up and watched Keith Primeau score the winner for my Flyers and went to bed.

Got up the next morning and watched the entire game on ESPN Classic.

It was beautiful.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

LUSH!

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Keith Primeau is a cocksucking piece of shit who deserves to have his balls removed, slowly, with a blow torch.

4. the guys broadcasting the game tonight are acting like complete douchebags. "isn't that a pretty logo?" give me a fucking break. the team is still paying the price for firing pat foley.

nice to see the team actually found a sponsor for it's "five game" home season. what a slap in the face. come up with a respectable amount of games or don't show any. you've already crippled a generation of hockey fans in chicago, why not just get it right and correct the error of $ bill's ways?

if you really want to get into hockey, go to a game. whether it be a college, minor league or pro game, any will work. just don't sit in the last five rows of the arena.

5. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

In the Hawks defense, that is all the games they can get on this season because Comcast has other things already lined up.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Know that no matter how many times you see on this board the word "Matteau" or mentions of the 1994 Eastern Conference finals or the Cup final in which the Rangers won it all against the Canucks that the Devils have won three Cups since that magic Rangers season.

Also know that the NHL network is a fine addition to anyone's cable package!

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good for Ron Francis. Shows how much my interest in hockey has dwindled that I didn't know he was being inducted. One of my favorite players to watch.

I alternate between wondering what the hell the Whalers were thinking and being very happy they were foolish enough to trade him to the Penguins.

8. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Hey Pulitzer, I got back into hockey in the past year after not paying much attention to it for a while. Sort of the same deal as you. I grew up in Pittsburgh while Lemieux was playing, and my interest declined as the team got bad, but I always liked the game. Have fun following the Blackhawks ... they're starting to build a decent future.

I never quite understood when people would complain about the game being unwatchable on TV. But I did notice the impact of the rule changes when I started watching a lot of games again last year. There's lots more speed and puck movement now than there used to be -- it's more watchable now than it's ever been.

I got into a fantasy league last year ... whatever you think of fantasy, it definitely helps you learn the league. I got hooked. By mid season I was a Center Ice subscriber. I have XM too, and I listen to their hockey channel and pick things up from that. I think their hockey channel is significantly better than their baseball channel. I also really like to watch the CBC and TSN broadcasts ... you can tell the Canadian networks really have a better sense of how to present the game. It's too bad Bill Clement isn't doing games anymore. Versus has him in the studio. He belongs in the booth.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Eh, he was nice to me when I talked to him after a playoff game.

Oh, and Clement's off Versus this season. I think he may just be doing NBC.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't think hockey is unwatchable on TV, but it is so much better in person. I had watched on TV for years before finally going to a game and I was amazed by the difference.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've only been to a minor-league hockey game, and it was well worth the $5 admission.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Y'all have gotten this far without mentioning Sid and Malkin as the best players to watch In today's game?

Loosers. :p

Draft saved Draft deleted