1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting fired 101: Simulating rape on your equipment manager

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, May 3, 2008.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

UCF's baseball coach fired after holding down team equipment manager and acting like he was shoving a baseball bat up his ass.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/knights/orl-ucfcoach0308may03,0,1516793.story

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd like to know what you have to do to NOT get hired at Central Florida.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Too bad that didn't happen to that one San Francisco 49er who did much the same thing to the trainer...

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That athletic program is going to some strange lengths to get the Sentinel to notice it.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'd love to be in the meeting w/ the AD when he proposes the new media campaign.
    "Well, we need to beef up our exposure. Get me O'Leary and Bergman."

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'll bet the equipment manager simulated asking for it.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Another Lynn Hoppes exclusive.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'll admit it: I laughed.

9. Piotr Rasputin

I wouldn't use that exact term . . . .

But it is interesting how the sports editor's name is found on so many of their breaking stories. Not the most common occurrence at large newspapers that make a business of breaking news.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Or maybe they are short-staffed like a lot of places and the boss jumps in and helps when help is needed? A lot of you guys gripe that your SE doesn't do much of anything. Here's one that does some stuff.

11. Piotr Rasputin

That's another way of looking at it, Moddy.

If I read the Sentinel regularly, I would have a better idea of what the situation really is.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't see the paper or Web site every day so I don't know for sure.

I have managed a short staff and I know there are times it is a pain to get everything covered, let alone deal with breaking stuff. There isn't someone sitting on GA you can call and say, "You're up."
    For instance, if something breaks in Richmond this weekend, they're up against it big. All available hands are covering the flying circus that is NASCAR. So sometimes an SE, instead of asking where his extra person is, has to say, "I'm that extra person." For my years as a writer, I had the resources and know-how to help. Lynn, I'm sure, is in the same position.

Two viewpoints, neither of us wrong. We're just looking at it from different sides.

Draft saved Draft deleted