1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting Facebook "unfriended"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I only unfriend people who post daily long-winded religious posts and nothing else.

Sorry, Mom, but that's the way it is.

2. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I once tried to unfriend someone only to learn she had unfriended me but somehow had me following her....I still don't understand how that happened, unless I never correctly friended her in the first place. But more than once she either liked or responded to a post/photo of mine.

I have less than 40 friends on Facebook where I have had as many as 80. I've pared down most of them not because I don't like them or don't consider them a friend it's just that I was seeing too much stuff on my feed and there was only a handful of people who interested me. And I don't necessarily like those folks more than the ones I unfriended. At this point there are exactly two folks who post political stuff remaining and one of those is my mom. The other doesn't share as much as simply liking and that shows up in my newsfeed, much to my chagrin.

Let me add this: I went into a deep, deep depression about a year ago, one I'm still not completely out of, and I had to cut ties with a lot of them because they reminded me of my depression. They were mainly former co-workers and seeing them reminded me of my layoff and how unhappy I was (am) in the shop I landed in. (For that matter, I had to stop following them on Twitter, as well as my current co-workers).

3. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I only made a Facebook page in the first place to monitor the amount of photos of my children my mother was posting. I relaxed my guard over time but now the only reason I don't deactivate is because of the 4-5 people out of state I like to keep up with.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sounds like you act there as you act here.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You're FB friends with Ruben?

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Knew someone, through another friend, who owned one of the titty bars on The Block in Baltimore. Both of us were FB friends with the owner. Checked the place out once, and it had two floors that were advertised as vanilla on the first floor and chocolate on the second.

Anyway, the owner got busted for pot and intent to distribute. His number of FB friends dropped from over 1000 to something like 100 so quickly, it was like watching Ragu's gold market.

And the news gave some idea of just how much pot he had. I think the article only specified how many pounds, and I took that number and calculated he had way more than a hay bale of pot. I couldn't get over that. A fucking hay bale.

A hay bale can go a long way.

7. sostartled

sostartled Member

Does anyone know if, when you "unfollow" someone, they can tell? Meaning, do my posts show up in their feed even if their posts don't in mine?

I've probably been unfriended a couple times, but not by anyone I've noticed (I have about 250 FB friends, but only 20-30 that I pay attention to). I think I'd probably be hurt if someone I thought I was on good terms with unfriended me. I don't think I'd nuke my FB account, but to each his own.

I've unfollowed a few people (mostly from Philly) who complained constantly about <enter anything here>. I've also unfollowed a few old high school acquaintances who friended me and were also friends with my wife so I felt obligated to reciprocate. But the most annoying person on my friend list is my brother's boyfriend, who apparently hates beards (which I have), kids (which I have), religion (which I don't), gay people, and pretty much any current event taking place anywhere in the world. He's fun.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I thought you meant he hated Olivia Munn. #LTLbetterlikethis

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You're friends with Starman? :)

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Nope, I unfollow tons of people and they have no clue. My stuff shows up on their feed, you can still go look at their page and they don't show up on my feed.

sostartled likes this.
  11. sostartled

sostartled Member

NOT ANYMORE!

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Who are you, and what have you done with our Dick Whitman?

Draft saved Draft deleted