1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting Facebook "unfriended"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 3, 2015.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I'll take the Birch Society posts over the daily workout regimen, with photos.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

By the end of my time on Facebook, I had about 350 "friends." In real life, I may have had 15-20 people whose well-being and life I was genuinely interested in keeping up with (not including family). So seeing picture after picture of a baby who belongs to someone I would only generously describe as an acquaintance became too much. Same for the workout photos, the bible verses, the vacation photos, the political articles and all the other bullshit that goes along with Facebook.

Sure, I could have just cut my friends list to those 15-20 people. But I have phone calls, email, texting, Skype and actual face-to-face interaction to keep up with them. That was the point that I realized Facebook was not worth the aggravation, in my opinion.

Also, my more attractive female "friends" had gotten past the age of posting trashy "Going Out! Yolo! Shots!" photos. So really, what's the point?

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I actually unfriended one of my brothers for a time because his midlife crisis included daily posts of scantily clad women. The posts themselves were not a problem, but it seemed like everytime I refreshed the page at work, one of them would pop up. I got so annoyed that I unfriended him. I've since refriended him, and his posts appear to be much safer for work. :)

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I find it easy enough to scroll past unpleasant posts, although I've blocked a couple people who are overly religious or political.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I've had to cull a few leftists.

old_tony likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's strange he still has people on his list who post the daily Obama rants and the daily GOP Congress rants.

I'm baffled.

Why not just block someone?

I'm really not offensive there whatsoever. I'm not abrasive. I don't cuss. I treat people respectfully. I try to be thoughtful.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

You're overthinking this one. Maybe he's jealous of your success after walking away from journalism.

8. RecoveringJournalist

The people who annoy me the most are the ones who say,

"Anyone here who thinks XXXXXXX please let me know so I can trim my friend list."

I don't care if you're a neo conservative or the most liberal person on the planet. Rant away, if I feel the need to ignore, I will... But it's the people who think they can dictate what others do by threatening to unfriend anyone who disagrees, those are the ones I have no patience for.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

First world problem.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

By far the most annoying person on my feed is the guy who mocks everyone who watches, discusses or does not hate American football. It started with concussions, but now every single thing that happens is proof of football's inferiority. It gets especially great when he talks about the higher moral fiber of baseball players. Of course, the same guy has posted about the travails that his daughter's underfunded private school faces and the hardship on families who **have** to spend $15,000 a year on tuition.

I know a few people who have unfriended him. But it's very entertaining since I stopped engaging and just observe.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Just this one?

12. RecoveringJournalist

One of my friends from high school posted something a year or so ago, "If you eat at Chick-fil-A, please save us all a lot of grief and just unfriend me now."

What followed was 100 posts about how delicious Chick-fil-A was. Fucking hilarious. I don't think she unfriended any of us.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted