1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting credentialed

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sneed, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Sneed

Sneed Guest

This might be something of a "doy" question for a lot of you, but as a young freelancer, I was wondering how one goes about getting "credentialed" for access to games for which I'd like to string, or if I'm doing a freelance feature piece on an athlete or coach, etc. Do I need to contact the teams each individual event I'd like to cover, or is there some type of all-encompassing pass I can obtain?

Mainly thinking about D-I and pro sports here, but I guess it applies to everything as a freelance writer.

Many thanks.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

You'll need to contact the individual in charge of access at each of those events, and even then, unless you have something concrete lined up, it may be difficult to get a pass.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

If you have an assignment from a credible publication it should be no problem. Typically, the publication will contact the PR office of the organization holding the event and arrange the credential for you.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, but you better make sure and ask.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Absolutely. This should be part of the assignment discussion.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Can't you just show them your press card?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If it's laminated, you're in.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

My HP printer and my wife's laminator will surely get me into the Super Bowl this year.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Don't just sit and expect the media organization to have done the legwork.

Also, if you're stringing for an outlet, you probably want to ask them for some kind of note from the editor you're working for. Just to make sure you cover all the bases.

I will add the caveat that I had one of my student interns cover a Maryland women's basketball game once, and my e-mail and/or telephone call was enough to ensure that he got in to cover the game. However, I'd be absolutely certain before taking that drive to the venue.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Does blowing the SID still work?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Only for minor sports.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

There are no minor sports.

Just attendance-impaired sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted