1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting closer to the unthinkable (don't worry, not THAT unthinkable)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jul 7, 2008.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Anybody who knows me knows I'm a newspaper guy. I want the daily paper on my doorstep every morning, and I want to read it cover to cover.

That will likely continue to be the case in 2008, but I have to start wondering more and more each day.

So today my paper comes with the notice that one of the five basic sections most expect in a daily paper -- think Lifestyle, Style, whatever -- is going away three days a week with the features currently in that section folding into business, of all places.

So advice columns and comics, for example, will be in business Monday-Wednesday.

Meanwhile, one story -- one -- on 1A on Sunday. Rest was teases -- very nice ones, but teases nonetheless.

People who live in this area -- I'm pretty much outed here for the most part anyway -- will know which paper I'm talking about.

This latest isn't a dealbreaker. But in all honesty -- it's getting close.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I feel your pain. My former paper moved Flair to five days a week and has used an all-tease front on Saturdays.
    It's free on my computer, every single day.

3. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I gotta say, my local paper -- The Hartford Courant -- does a fine job and I will subscribe as long as it continues to do so.

Oh, it drives me nuts. They pretty much allow full-blown political columns in the Life section (though the guilty writer is outstanding) and they chose wretched comics the last two times they replaced old ones. But it is still vibrant, and at least so far, almost necessary for me. Although I am the wrong demographic for these times because newspapers already have become leisure time for me and they aren't doing anything to satisy me.

But the promise for now is they will stay on the big stories and shine the lights in dark corners. And there are lots of dark corners here.

But the big reorg is on the way in the next few months and I may change my mind by October and it is free online. But you know what? I read a ton of online content, but I still prefer paper.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

We subscribe to the printed product four days a week, primarily for the Sunday paper that we like to read at brunch (and because the deal was so cheap). I couldn't imagine paying full price for a seven-day ride; there's too much and not enough in there. Love our magazines though.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

What does that page look like with all the teases?

That seems like it wouldn't be too great of an idea.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can't stand a tease.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I have yet to understand why newspapers are shrinking page sizes and cutting number of pages but increasing the number of teases.

8. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

If I'm going to be teased, it had damn well be by some half-naked young thing waiting for me to stuff a dollar bill into her g-string.

As for a newspaper? Eh, not so much.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Reading the paper on line is OK, but my local paper's website is like looking at dry, white toast with a side of oatmeal... bland and tough to get through.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

our paper has gone to an all-tease front for the rack editions. i hate it. looks awful.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

So 'til October, then?

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Visually, it's OK I guess. One "tease" was a very big graphic/photo element to a goodl story whose lead ran in A section -- but didn't start on the front -- and that had another big part in the Sunday opinion section.

Bottom third was the usual teases to the rest of the sections.

I'm trying hard not to think traditionally in these tough times, but I can't imagine the people still holding on to their subscriptions will believe that there was only one story worth the front page of their newspapers on a Sunday.

Draft saved Draft deleted