1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting caught up with the greatest Xmas movie of all time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, Dec 19, 2007.

1. BRoth

BRoth Member

Started with Die Hard last night (the aforementioned best movie) and I'm working my way through the series.

Got me thinking ... how would everyone else rank the four movies?

To me, it's got to be: #1 Die Hard, #2 With a Vengeance, #3 Live Free, #4 Die Harderer

After all, Die Hard did offer the "greatest one-line in history: http://www.slate.com/id/2168927/ ... and is the most overlooked Xmas movie, according to slate: http://www.slate.com/id/2179936/

Yippiy kay yay

2. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I have enjoyed all of them, but for no particular reason, the second one was my least favorite.

Actually, my order is the same as the one you presented, with Live Free being just a little behind With a Vengence.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

My preference: 1, 4, 3, 2. Second one wasn't very good except for the lighting the jet fuel part at the end. Third one was pretty cool and is only slightly behind the most recent one for me.

BTW, though I love the movie, I wouldn't rate it even close to the greatest Christmas movie. That almost has to be Miracle on 34th St. In my lifetime, I'd have to rate A Christmas Story the best.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I have yet to see 4, but I have a hard time believing that it would knock 3 out of the top spot for me.

I think it's Simon that made 3 tops. A creative, yet underappreciated lead foil. And Samuel L. Jackson wasn't bad, either.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It's 1 and then the rest for me.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

After the first one, there was no point in a sequel, let alone three. The original rules.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm a fan of the first but hated the second. Never saw the third or fourth.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen 'Live Free' but 2 was a steaming pile of shit (though, as previously noted, blowing up the jet with the draining fuel was pretty cool, and it also had a cameo by future T-1000 Robert Patrick as a nameless bad guy).

I assume my list would go: 1, 3, 4, 2, though I leave room for the possibility that 4 could be better than 2.

And hopefully I'll shore up the list shortly after X-mas (and if someone doesn't buy it for me, I'll be pissed, Dammit!)

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

Any best Christmas Movie list that does not have "Christmas Vacation" at the top is a FRAUD!

10. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

If Die Hard is consdiered a Christmas movie, than so is Lethal Weapon.

11. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

Clearly the rankings go 1, 4, 3, 2.

The original Die Hard is probably the best action movie ever, or at least it is in my eyes.

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

THE BEST?

It is definitely up there.....I will give you the "Yippi-ki-yay.....mother fucker" is probably the most reckongized line in an action movie, right next to "Go ahead.....make my day."

Draft saved Draft deleted