1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting by as a freelancer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by golfnut8924, Aug 11, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I would have expected more class from a golfnut.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

a little defensive, don't ya think, golfnut. social security and 401k's have nothing to do with each other and that's something i would think an adult with any education should know. 401k is (was) a company benefit. social security is from the government and comes directly from what you paid into the system over your work career.

3. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I have plenty of education, thank you. Thing is, stuff like taxes and 401k's are not things that are generally taught in J-school (or really at all in school for that matter). That's real world stuff that you only learn through being in the real world. I only graduated college a couple years ago and therefore am relatively new to the world of work benefits and taxes (and completely new to handling that stuff as a freelancer). If it was a dumb question, than fine. Again, I have a really hard time believing that you never once had trouble understanding how all of your benefits worked when you were new to the workforce.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i'm sorry, but being out of college a couple of years and not knowing the basics of social security is embarrassing.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Golfnut,

As a journalist, I've always taken the stance that no question is a dumb question -- especially once it has been asked, and then, you know the answer.

Don't worry about it. People will get over your having asked it. But don't get defensive, either.

Just tell yourself that, 'Well, now I know. I learned something, and can tuck it away for future reference, and now I won't ever have to ask again.'

Draft saved Draft deleted