1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting back in the biz

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Jun 30, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

OK. So, focus on the Single A ball player analogy.

People are passionate about all kinds of things. Not everyone is lucky enough to make a living in a career they are passionate about. People pursuing careers in film, theater, music, sports, etc. make these decisions too. This is not uncommon. Journalism is not unique or singular.

If someone cares about Rhody, I hope they would care enough to give him thoughtful advice, not just a mindless "go for it".

2. beanpole

beanpole Member

"Go for it" is in reference to the application process. Nobody has offered him a job. I'm sure he'll make the best decision for his situation -- if he gets a callback, an interview and an offer, but that's a long way down the road.

3. YankeeFan

It's a step towards the job.

And, if folks don't think the job is a good idea, then applying for it isn't either.

You don't like my buying the bottle of vodka as an analogy. OK. What about your buddy with the ex-girlfriend who cheated him like shit? She wants him back. You know she's not good for him, and he should stay the fuck away from her.

He says he's going to meet up with her to talk. Maybe she's changed. He's not making any decisions now, but what harm could it do to talk?

We all know that guy is getting back with the girl. You don't go talk unless you are.

Rhody is excited about this potential job, and if he doesn't get his balloon popped now, he's only going to get more excited, and find a way to talk himself into accepting it if offered.

Not to mention, he'll feel like shit if he doesn't get offered the shitty $10.00 an hour job.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I looked at all of Rhody's posts, and you'd sure as hell better show me where he's talking about a shitty $10.00 an hour job. Either that, or I know you're forming fantasies to flesh out your agenda.

Dammit, not every job in print journalism is a shitty job. Only you believe it is.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The shitty $10 an hour job is the job Rhody left. Only he was making a lot more than that. They canned him because he got on the wrong side of management, not because of his abilities. He's roundly called one of the best sportswriters in our state and has a cache of awards to back it up. Since canning him 17 months ago, the management in question has seen: 1.) its other experienced sportswriter leave for greener pasture in Maine, 2.) hired a guy to replace Rhody who hadn't been in the industry in 10 years, and watched that guy leave after four months; 3.) Hired a fresh out of J-School rookie to replace the guy who replaced Rhody. She was so green she routinely cheered for the athletes she was covering out loud and while she was covering them. She has since left as well and 4.) Hired a fresh-out-of-J-School guy who says, in his words, that his biggest struggle is writing.
    The job in question is a big step up from what he was doing at the above-mentioned place and would be a great fit for him professionally. Personally, however, I doubt it's a good fit for him as a dad with a three-year-old daughter and a newborn. The question becomes the balance.
    Regardless of the money, this industry takes a lot from you as a person. To ignore the non financial aspects of this industry, when you're not a fresh 22-year-old kid, is insane.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Ignoring the financial aspects is insane too.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again: I was making $10.50 an hour. In 1992. At a then-60,000 circ paper. With four years experience. And I was (and am) nobody special.

If things haven't improved even ONE GODDAMN CENT in 22 years, the fact that people keep showing up for these jobs is absolutely inexplicable. The scenario schieza described above, however -- where the newspaper goes through unqualified applicant after unqualified applicant and drives its brand into the ground in the process -- well, that's perfectly explicable.

Rhody, as yet another former journalist who misses what it used to be, I'll say this: If the paper offers you a living wage, consider it. Otherwise, quit selling yourself short. Frankly, the caddy gig sounds like real money and potentially a lot of fun, if you like hanging around golf courses. And if you like hanging around golf courses, there have to be other jobs in the golf industry that would pay you better and treat you better than this particular newspaper -- or probably any newspaper -- ever will.

Don't sell yourself short. Don't give your work away.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I would tell that guy to do what makes him happy, but to be aware of the possible pitfalls and to have a backup plan.

They say for most athletes, the end of their playing career is almost like dying an extra death, because nothing can replace the feeling they have of running on the field. It's why some athletes struggle psychologically after they retire. The Single-A guy may even be realistic about their chances to move up, but they still like coming to the ballpark every day and going to an office or digging ditches just isn't the same.

8. YankeeFan

I'd ask Rhody, and others, what it is about journalism that is so appealing.

Is it finding the story? Is it telling the story? Is it writing the story well? Is it meeting new people every day? Is it just being out from behind a desk? Is it the joy of seeing the final product?

Break it down, and find other ways to experience the appealing nature of the job without the low pay, poor hours, and little thanks.

And, look, this doesn't go for everyone. Some people are going to make it and do well in the industry. If you are on the right career path, then "go for it"!

But, if you're not advancing in your career, you have to consider other options. Don't let them work you death, just to spit you out when they no longer need you.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

To me, it was the unique combination of an incredible workload and a tightening deadline. There is something exhilarating about walking into the office and knowing in your mind that you had to do X things and only had X hours to get it all done.
    And that feeling you get after beating that deadline? Incredible.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

So the fuck what?

It's his life, not yours.

11. YankeeFan

That's fine.

He asked for advice.

At the very least, he heard an opposing view from the consensus "go for it".

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

No. 1: Be honest with yourself. Is it REALLY what you want to do?

I'm 2 years removed from newspapers. It has taken 2 years of licking my wounds and searching deep within to come to grips with the fact I'm done. It's all I ever knew and all I ever did, and even though I know I can do it again, and have wanted to do it again when I struggled spiritually, the truth of the matter is this: I don't want to do it anymore.

I'm going to write a little story about Air Lift in a few weeks and post it here with little fanfare, like I did with the race card last fall. I thought I'd pitch the story around a bit but I think the best thing is to just share it with all y'all. Truth of the matter is that it's the only place it belongs.

So again, just be honest with yourself. What do you REALLY want?

Once you answer that, everything else falls into place.

Draft saved Draft deleted