1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting an Interview with ESPN "personality"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by moonlight, Apr 8, 2015.

1. moonlight

moonlight Member

I know a lot of us like to bash ESPN and its staff on this messageboard, but I need some help (seriously).
    I'd like to set up an interview with one of their on-air personalities, and I cannot find any way to reach the appropriate people who can arrange this. Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

Thanks. I'm fully prepared for this post going horribly wrong.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Keri Potts is ESPN Senior Director of PR.
    860-839-3438
    keri.a.potts(at)espn.com

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

This has the potential to be a classic SJ.com thread. I want in on the ground floor.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Is this an investigative piece? Let's hope not...

BDC99 likes this.
  5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

ESPN's PR staff is really good at turning a quick response and getting you in touch with folks. If you need someone bigger like Jay Bilas, I've always just gone to the USBWA/FWAA directory and called them directly. With lesser-known personalities, the PR rep will request you mention that the person you're talking to is an ESPN (whatever). Sometimes, you'd probably mention it because of the story you're writing. Others (like when the story has nothing to do with ESPN), squeezing it in is less natural.

6. moonlight

moonlight Member

Thanks for your help, Steak and Matt. You have sent me in the right direction.

Now if someone wants to take this thread down the shitter, have at it. I'm done.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Or you could wait until they're done shooting the commercial ... [/sj.comsnarkmode]

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Well, you know that Chet Harper doesn't work there anymore, right? :D BOOYAH! Get to White Castle before the weirdos show up! Sweet sassy molassy!

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Bitch slap!

10. Fire Marshall Bill

Fire Marshall Bill New Member

I've dealt with one of their PR staffers for similar stuff on a number of occasions and she's been awesome. Personalities have been pretty gracious too. When in doubt, give it a shot.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Is this just a ruse to take Michelle Beadle out to dinner?

Draft saved Draft deleted