1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting a "no" for the first time

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by the_rookie, Jun 23, 2006.

1. lono

lono Active Member

The combination of arrogance and lack of vision that many newspaper managers have truly is breathtaking. And folks wonder why this industry is in such bad shape?

2. EE94

EE94 Guest

I wrote in my post that I WOULD NOT, and HAVE NOT, done what the WSJ guy did.
    What I did say is I can understand the frustration.
    It's fucking stressful telling people that they didn't get a job, that they aren't qualified, whatever. At least its stressful if you have any sense of compassion and understanding of young people wanting to get ahead.
    So having to explain to a person why they aren't being hired and, as gently as possible, point out their short-comings and trying to do it as constructive criticism, is not an easy part of the gig.
    What is frustrating are the people to whom you have to do this on more than one occasion because they .... don't have a clue.
    A little self-awareness goes a long way.

As I said, I wouldn't have written the letter and never have. I merely said I can understand the other side.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

i've started saving rejections letters from jobs that I felt qualified for. I cherish them and read them occassionaly. It helps drive me to do better.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

The WSJ editor who wrote the letter was rude, snobbish and delusional. It's not stressful, it's part of the job and if somebody can't handle one of the easier parts of the job, they shouldn't be there. They represent the company, and the WSJ didn't have all that much journalistic integrity during the 80s - Foster Winans and a lot of rewritten press releases.

There is no other side because there is no excuse for this sort of behavior. Would the editor's boss have approved this?

5. EE94

EE94 Guest

I stand corrected Gold.
    If you say there is no other side, then there must not be.
    How silly of me.

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

Oh, and I'll make sure to hug the next person I don't hire lest the unrecognized genius has his/her feelings hurt.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

There is no other side.

There is no reason to be an asshole to anyone in that situation.

8. EE94

EE94 Guest

Dead. On. Nails.

I'd of phrased it a little differently than Dye, but he couldn't be more right.

It's called class. Too many people in this business lack it.

[quote)

Oh, and Bird, it should read "I'd HAVE phrased it a little differently ..."

Might explain your rejection letters

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Uhhh, not hardly, considering you've never read my copy and I typed this at midnight.

But thanks for playing.

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

Oh, didn't realize your grammatical skills were on the same clock as Cinderalla.
    Carry on

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And that would be CINDERELLA

Once again, thanks for playing...

12. EE94

EE94 Guest

Touche

Draft saved Draft deleted