1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting a "no" for the first time

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by the_rookie, Jun 23, 2006.

1. boots

boots New Member

No one likes getting rejected either by a hooker, a whore or a job. So I'm going to leave you with some excellent advice. Get a pen and write it down.
    IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY TIMES SOMEONE TELLS YOU NO...... YOU JUST NEED ONE TO TELL YOU YES!

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

it's like when you're trying to get laid. you have to learn to thrive on rejection. only way to keep your confidence going. 8) 8) 8)

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

apple pie

4. donaugust

donaugust Member

Lemme throw this one at you:

Sent in a resume for a job about two months ago, via e-mail to the company's HR site. No autoresponse, no nothing.

More or less forgot about it.

Three weeks later, got a call from an editor there wanting to talk about another position -- a better one, in fact. Spent about 10 minutes on the phone in an impromptu phone interview. At the end, he says I should be expecting a call from someone else in the company on the hiring team. That call comes promptly, the next afternoon. At the end of that call, I'm invited to town for an interview (about three hours away by train). They want me to interview early the next week. I get my excuses ready and finagle a day off.

So we're about a week in, now. Interview goes pretty well, always a question I would like to have back but so be it. I know they want to hire quickly because they need someone not only in place but up to speed by the first weekend in August. I also know I was at the end of the interview process, an afternoon appointment on the second of two days offered to me. Group of four in the interview room with me.

I have many things this company needs, especially flexibility and the ability to move quickly. I'm expecting they're going to offer it to someone quickly.

Then the silence begins. I send the customary thank-yous, get responses, saying they'll be in touch. I stretch that out until the end of the week.

The next week I basically make up a reason to call. (Not entirely fabricated, one of my references was on vacation and had just returned, was letting them know.) At the end of the week I get a call saying they've decided to move the location of the position to one of their other corporate offices. That's not a problem, right? No, I say, not a problem. Alright, they say, they'll call me on Monday. (That change explains the delay so far, right?)

Monday comes. One of my references volunteers that she's heard from prospective employer.

Then nothing. Make up another busy-work reason to call late in the week. No response.

This is a potentially life-changing job for me. It's killing me.

Just had to get that out. Thanks for listening. Should I expect the reject call on Monday?

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Ah, it's like getting shot down by a woman...can't take it personal. Especially when the job was kind of out of your league, or you really didn't have any connections to the place. Now, it's when you get brought in for an interview, think you have a shot, even start looking for places to live...THEN you get the rejection letter...that hurts.

6. donaugust

donaugust Member

Uh oh. :-\

Not quite, but I have a friend in that area who's in the mortgage lending business.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I once turned down a job after initially accepting it -- sort of a Glen Mason or Bobby Cremins -- so I guess that is a little bit of payback for the times I've received the 'no' response.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's baptismal. It happens. Go have a beer and then look for someone who /will/ take you home.

Interviewing at a young age is as good an experience as anything -- just make sure you get them to pay for it.

9. sportsed

sportsed Guest

Getting e-mailed or called out of the blue to interview for a job that's better than the one I have truly makes up for all the rejections I've received over the years. And I'm the Chaucer of rejection letters.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

1. At least they had the courtesy to let you know. Screw the companies that hide behind the "we got so many applicants we can only contact interviewees". If I paid $18 to FedEx you my stuff, at least drop me an email.

2. Yoshi, if you're in/just out of college, you're part of the generation that has never heard the word "no". This isn't your fault, it's just how that generation of parents has been. But it makes the first "no" all the more hard.

3. At least you're getting your first "no" at this stage of the game. I didn't get my first "no" until well after college and it was all the more devistating after a few years of having the Midas Touch.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

If you sort of squint, the title of this thread looks like Getting a "ho" for the first time.

12. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

I haven't heard a "yes" on a job yet, but I have recieved plenty of "no."

The one that stung the most was the one I thought I had, looked and priced places to live, utilities and all the necessities. I was told I was going to be hired from a professor who was a friend of the SE, went through an interview with him and the ME. The ME told me I'd hear back the middle of the next week one way or the other then..... nothing. I would call and e-mail the SE and get through about half the time.

I found out last week (about four weeks after the initial interviews) they went with more experienced reporters who were from the area. That got to me a little bit.

But it was a great feeling when I got my internship, so I can only hope it'll be that nice when I finally get a job.

Draft saved Draft deleted