1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting a masters degree?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Dec 7, 2007.

1. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

My experience was somewhat similar to Ragu's -- waste of time in a lot of ways, and I came away very unimpressed with a lot of people. Let's just say many of the people who study journalism as academics know very little about it (I was one of the few in my program who'd ever worked in the business).

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I thought about going to grad school right from college, but decided to get my hands dirty in the field before going on for the higher degree. I know I'll probably end up teaching when I leave the business for good, and I feel that having on-field experience will be very beneficial when teaching prospective journalists.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

why does hurting me make you feel better about yourself? ???

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

That's what happens when you send a bean-counter to do a wordsmith's job. One of them was a newsman with an MBA but the other one was an MBA (complete with every biz-school cliche on the tip of his tongue) trying desperately to be a newsman. The latter reminded me of "Office Space" manager Bill Lumbergh. Seriously.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Would you rather be Lord of the Manor?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you're abusive.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

This is the part of the conversation where I say "big breasts" ... and slowly walk away while you daydream.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

mmmmmm, breasts.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Simply amazing.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

huh?

11. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I wish Canada would offer online courses in journalism. Just starting a non journalism online course through CIHI (Canadian SJ'ers should know what this stands for). Supposed to help me with one of my jobs. Easiest thing to do online courses.

Wannabe, I have degrees in nonjournalism field and one of the two nonjournalism degrees has helped me with journalism in so many ways.

12. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I love my master's program (except when I hate it) enough that when I'm done with this one, I'm getting another.

So, I think this master's degree will have fully prepared me for a life as a perpetual student.

Draft saved Draft deleted