1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting a masters degree?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, there's nothing like an ME with an MBA to make a newsroom sing. shiiiiiit.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My parents and my sister have their master's degrees, and I'm sure I'll go back to get mine.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, good enough. but are you master of your domain?

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

For 153 consecutive days in college, I was. But now, I am nowhere close.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

... which isn't a bad option if you get laid off or tired of the business.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

153 days? isn't that like three months?

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Considering how much time in college I was under the spell of scantily clad women, alcohol or sleep deprivation. 153 days seems like a fair estimate of honestly controlling one's domain.

8. In Exile

In Exile Member

I have a master's degree in something else entirely. Started freelancing the year I got it and eventually left the field to freelance full-time

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have a master's degree in journalism from one of those schools that likes to congratulate itself every chance it gets on what a great journalism school it is (I won't mentioned it by name, because it's kind of dumb to cheapen my own degree). They gave me a grant to do it, so it wasn't horrible, but in terms of effectiveness, it was a giant, unimpressive waste of time. They sold me on this specific program they are proud of, and I was all pumped for it going in... and left more disappointed than satisfied. The people around me didn't impress me that much (speaking in generalities. There were a few really impressive people who have done well, but I suspect they were destined to do well anyhow). There was a benefit to it for me, that others might not experience, and it had nothing to do with the education or the actual school itself. It was that it focused me at a time that I needed to bear down and figure out where I was going. I kind of got out there on my own during that time, even started earning money while I was in school writing, and started to make my own breaks away from the school, which was almost too kindergarten like in areas (too much hand holding and coddling). As a result, I ended up working with a few editors who took some chances on me and one particular mentor/journalist who I worked with (none met through the school), and it sort of put me on the path to the first half of my career until I changed up what I do a bit.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It was about five months, from Nov. 26, 2004, to April 27, 2005. It started out as a test for myself, but when I told my buddy about it four days later, he wanted to make it a competition. He said he quit at 44 days, though I think he's full of shit. But instead of ending when I had the thing won, I decided to see how long I could go, and made it last until a couple weeks before graduation.

I'll probably never do it again.

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I am king of the county.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Tom's queen of the castle.

Draft saved Draft deleted