1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting a dog

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Jul 27, 2007.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

For life expectancy, small dogs generally live longer (just like small people). And avoid Boxers, which have a very short lifespan because of a heart deficiency.

2. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

I love dogs & I love SJ!

3. KG

KG Active Member

Do small dogs really live longer? I thought it was the other way around. I would expect most any breed would be around at least 10 years.

My dog is a chow/basenji/maybe some collie and shepherd too. He's a very pleasent mix, whatever it all is. He's protective, yet he's quiet. He rarely barks, which is a huge blessing (part of the basenji breed). I know I'll outlive him, but I just can't imagine him not being around. I am more than just attached to him. He's more like this growth that I can't seem to get off my side. Just kidding. He and I are like two peas in a pod. He's my little bud.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I will not say why, but I praise those of you staying on topic on this thread.

I think life expetency varies quite a bit with the breed, just like a lot of traits. Different breeds are prone to different types of health problems.

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

And you don't have all the drama you get with purebreds.

Any dog, basically, is a dog. They look up to you to lead them and they will comfort you when they sense you're upset. They'll guard you and drive you nuts. (Mine does both when it comes to chipmunks. Barks hysterically to warn them away at 6 a-fucking-m.) And almost any dog will do that. You can get all that for just a few bucks at the shelter.

Any expenditure of money for a certain breed is for your own ego. It doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a better dog.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

It's a pretty broad generalization, but yeah, they do. My last dog was a Golden mix who lived to 15, but that's pretty rare. A 15-year-old miniature poodle, on the other hand, isn't uncommon.

And I agree with Joel -- Go to the Humane Society and the dog for you will probably make himself/herself known to you pretty quickly.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Haven't read the rest of this thread, but I just need to interject that golden retriever puppies are the best puppies for my money. They are still great dogs when they grow up, but as puppies, it doesnt get any cuter.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Don't get a fancy dog with papers and all that crap. Waste of money. Get a mutt, they've got character. And the cheaper the better. The two dogs I have now I got for free: one out of the back of a pickup truck and the other from a family who couldn't keep a puppy around (they posted a 'Dog available' card at the vet).

9. Wanted to add one thing. I've volunteered at shelters, rescues and pounds. If you're interested in a purebred or a particular breed or even those designer breeds (labradoodles, puggles, etc.), they're often available at shelters and the pound. Also many breeds have rescues - Poodle rescue, Beagle rescue, etc. - if you have your heart set on a particular breed. So you don't have to chose between saving a life and getting a particular breed. Frankly, there's no reason to waste money on a breeder when you can save a life.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Thanks for all of the kind sentiment, but as stated earlier, if I do get one, it will be from a shelter. :D

My best friend's mom was head of animal control for a decent-sized city, so I know there are tons of good dogs in them. Glad to see others spreading the message, though!

11. In Exile

In Exile Member

KG is absolutely correct about the potty training method. My golden puppy had exactly three in house accidents and was trained in about three days, and crate training is good for both dog and owner. I always tell my friends who are getting dogs that for the first month or so, puppies are more work than babies, and if they don't think they could take care of a baby for month, don't get a puppy.

Eventually, you'll discover that two dogs are better than one - they entertain each other, play, and remind each other they are dogs. Got a golden puppy after our last one passed, then about nine months later got a six-month old sheltie. I never trained the sheltie at all. She's so smart she learned everything in about a day and half from watching Sam the golden. I'm lucky because I live on a large piece of land far off the road. The dogs are out most of the day and never, ever stray. The rest of the time is like a Warner Brothers cartoon, minus the explosions.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but do anvils fall out of the sky every coupla minutes?

Draft saved Draft deleted