1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting a dog

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Jul 27, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It really does depend a lot on your environment. Do some research. There is a lot out there on what breeds do well in different situations.

I'm partial to Dauchshunds, but that's because I grew up with them. Great lap dogs. They get very attached to their primary master (whoever feeds them). Dangerous appetites, though. They'll literally eat themselves to death if you let them. And they're tough to house train (control issues).

But I'm allergic, so no dogs at all for the OOP family.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'll just chime in that my labradoodle is the best dog in the world. They are adorable and very smart. Training him was a breeze.

The best thing though is that they are hypoallergenic. My wife is extremely allergic to dogs. She goes to her parents house where they have a St. Bernard that lives in the back yard and she is sick for a week, even if she never pets or plays with him. She's never had a problem with the 'doodle. I originally balked at how much we paid for the little guy, but he was worth every penny.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'll second that for the labradoodles. Sorry Jake, but MINE is the best dog in the world...maybe they're related. So smart, easy to train, fun, doesn't shed. She's bigger than I thought she'd be--around 70 lbs--but just a great dog. Bought her unexpectedly as a pup at a charity auction, worth every penny. (Although I would agree with those who say go to a shelter and save a puppy.)

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'll agree that saving the pound puppies is great, but if you or someone in the family is allergic labradoodles are the way to go.

5. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Another vote for retired racing greyhound. Great house dogs.

Whatever kind you get, get one with a brain big enough to include an off switch. The little ones don't always come with those as standard equipment.

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Thanks for all the help/advice so far! More for monetary purposes, I've been calling to different humane shelters across my state. Apparently most places get young pups in about every 10 days-two weeks.

The training part is what makes me most apprehensive. I've been reading up on all these ways to do it (and no, I could never be physical with a dog...I couldn't even do a newspaper whap on the nose). I just want to make sure I do it the right way and that the dog turns out well-behaved and nice.

Are adopted dogs any easier/harder to train?

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Often depends on their background, which you can't always know. Adopting a 1- or 2-year-old dog that has lived in a home can save you a lot of grief, as it's likely housetrained and might be through the chewing stage (shelters usually have the prior owner fill out a form about the dog's behaviors and training). And at that age, they're still young enough that they're very trainable. Puppies are cute, but they're a handful and you have to make sure you're up for it.

Shelters have a lot of young adult dogs people put in there for stupid reasons like "I'm moving somewhere and can't take him," "We're having a baby and don't have time for him," and "I didn't know he was going to get so big." Or the dog just has a lot of youthful energy and the people don't take time to exercise it.

I've known many people (including myself) who have gotten great dogs this way. Plus, if saving an animal is your motivation for going to a shelter, keep in mind that puppies and kittens will almost always get adopted quickly; if you get an adult dog you could be saving its life.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Oh, also, keep in mind that according to a study by Consumer Reports, a mutt costs literally thousands less in vet bills over the course of its life than a purebred, which will likely have several problems peculiar to its breed.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

The saving life part is one I've taken into consideration. I just wouldn't want it to die somewhat early in the process. I want one that'll be around more than 10 years. They are really cute at every stage, though.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

That's the good thing about puggles - their breed by definition is a mutt :D

12. KG

KG Active Member

Honestly the best thing you can do for training is when you first bring it home (if it's not potty trained) is to take it outside every half hour and lead it around. That way it can learn that you will be taking it outside to do it's business. If it goes potty, wait an hour in between the next times of taking it out. Then after successful potties, stretch it futher and further. Of course this way is only possible if you start on a day off or if someone else will be there while you're at work, but it eliminates the need for worrying about accidents for the most part.

I did it with mine and he's only had two accidents in the four years I've had him. One of those he was sick and the other was from getting too excited from my husband playing too wildly with him (chasing him around in circles like a bafoon).

Convincing my dog to stay away from the garbage was the hard part. I ended up putting a baby gate at the kitchen door to eliminate that problem.

His drinking problem on the other hand....
    [​IMG]

Just kidding. He got it stuck on his head after trying to get into the garbage. I couldn't resist making him wait a little longer to get it off after coming home from work to that sight. That's a picture I had to have. Poor thing was walking around with it stuck on his head.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted