1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting a bit dusty in here, or TBF is remodeling the bathroom: Final product

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Re: Getting a bit dusty in here, or TBF is remodeling the bathroom

You think someone would only tell you that at the Goose? ;D

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Walls are easy. Seriously. As long as they aren't load bearing.

I was scared shitless, too, once. Then my dad came over and slapped up a couple in a hour.

There's nothing to them.

The plumbing? Now that scares me. I'm not good with a soldering gun.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I live in NYC in a co-op. Even if I had the ability to do what you are doing TBF (And I am suitably impressed), I am not allowed to. It's no matter. I don't have those kinds of skills.

My building sort of functions as a corporation with a board of directors. It's the way a lot of buildings here are. We are all shareholders in the building. There are rules about what you can and can't do to the place you own (you technically own shares in the building and don't own your apartment). The rules can be onerous and ridiculous, especially when it comes to repairs and renovations. A few years ago, I totally demo'ed my whole apartment and rebuilt it from scratch. I wasn't allowed to do any of it myself (even the littlest things). I needed a licensed contractor with all the right kinds of insurance, building department permits, and everyone from the electrician, plumber, etc. had to meet all kinds of insurance and licensing rules. It took me more than a year just to get my plan approved by the board. It was a giant pain.

It makes sense in a way, because if I do a shoddy, half-assed renovation, it can mean leaking water, debris, and problems for the people living below me and to the sides. Plus, what I do to my place affects the values of other places in the building. So I understand concerns about those kinds of things.

It was still a giant bureaucratic pain, though, and it involved some overly officious people who just wanted to be difficult. I had to jump through some ridiculous hoops just to get my plan approved, including getting architectural drawings, when I did no work that affected the building structurally.

Plus the whole thing cost way more than it would have anywhere else. But what was cool was that I was around and very involved while the work was being done and got along well with my contractor and the guys who worked for him. I learned a ton -- about things I had no clue about before the renovation. I now have an idea about how to lay a mud floor in a bathroom, for example. And some idea about what goes into rewiring a place electrically. And how to frame a door, etc.

My favorite demo story -- the day they came in to demo the place, he hired some guys to do it, because they do demo work and had the trucks (where I live is hard to park) to cart the all the old stuff right out of there. The supervisor came in here with a bunch of Central American immigrants who looked like they were about to keel over from being overworked lugging buckets of debris 20 hours a day. I really felt bad for these guys. It was a bit nerve-wracking, because my building was in the process of fixing up the hallways at the same time, and I was nervous that the guys would do damage to the hallways on the way out and I'd be on the hook for the cost.

I wanted to get the demo done quickly and get them out of there in one day, two days max. I saw an opportunity by mid afternoon to get them out of there in one day instead of two, and I started pitching in. So there I was dust all over me with a sledge hammer loading up buckets for the guys to lug downstairs. One of the guys who worked for my contractor thought I was nuts. I was paying them to do the job and then doing more of the work than they were.

My bathroom had an old steel clawfoot tub in it that I always hated. It was too large for the space. I had looked before the renovation and thought I could sell it because I had heard those tubs can be refinished with porcelain and have value. But it turned out that is kind of a myth. There are junkyards all over filled with similar tubs and the cost of refurbishing one is pretty high. I didn't realize, though, that my contractor wanted to save the tub for himself. So he told the demo guys not to destroy it and get it out intact for him (the thing weighed a ton). But in my old apartment, though, it turned out that whoever had hooked up the plumbing had attached the plumbing to the tub/shower without any shutoff valves! (and my stupid co-op board was giving me all kinds of grief over plumbing specs, when what already existed was a nightmare!) So they couldn't unhook the fixture without starting a flood. The guys were about to leave this really heavy steel tub in there and leave because my contractor had told them not to destroy it, and I was like, "No way. That thing is getting out of here." So I took a sledgehammer and went ape shit on the thing and hacked it apart, leaving just a small piece attached to the plumbing. Then I hacked the rest of the tub apart so they could carry it out. It was one of the most fun things I have ever done. There is nothing better than taking a giant sledge hammer to something.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Our house is really a 3-bedroom with a bonus room above the garage that's finished. When we moved in, it didn't have a door, and the previous owner was using it as just a junk room. With our second kid on the way, we decided to use it as a spare bedroom for visiting family, so our 2-year old could have her own room and the new baby would have his own, too.

I hung a door on that room, but it doesn't have a closet. Well, it has a very small closet that the air return system is in. So, I want to basically triple the size of that closet, because our house severely lacks closet space. I think I could do it, but the ceiling is slanted (think bonus-room, no-attic type ceiling), so I'm afraid of it. I could probably use the existing front side of the closet, and just add wall length for more space.

I'm also severely afraid of drywall, more specifically, I'm afraid of the ceiling. I wouldn't know how to anchor the wall caps to the ceiling rafters.

But, for now, the downstairs bathroom is nearly finished. The tile is laid and grouted. The grout is setting up, now, so I can't walk on it for 16 hours. I'm gonna touch up the trip this afternoon, and lay it tomorrow morning. Set the toilet (being careful not to eff up the water, this time), the sink, and I'm done.

Best two days I've spent in a while.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Good feeling isn't TBF?

I just love lookin' at the final product.

6. three_bags_full

Awful satisfying.

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i hire those jobs out, simply to avoid the frustration of not knowing what the hell i'm doing and then having to hire somebody to fix what I've screwed up.
    besides, i don't get enough off time to want to spend a few days on a major project. I know it's wrong, but me and hammers and nails don't get along very well.

8. three_bags_full

Yeah, but I spent about 300 bucks on the supplies and probably saved a grand on labor.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I am totally coming to SportsJournalists.com when I start home improvement projects.

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm trying to get Dr. J to help me "re-do" the bedroom. And by re-do, I mean take the wallpaper down and paint it.

He's giving me all sorts of excuses. To listen to him, the walls are going to be in such bad shape that they're just going to fall in the second we take the wallpaper off.

This is manspeak for, 'I don't feel like taking the goddamn wallpaper down'. It's called spackle and sandpaper. Oooooohhh.

11. Pete Incaviglia

Funny you mention that. A guy two doors down owns a house with the same floor plan as mine.

We both remodeled our basements in the same month.

He hired a guy for $8,000 to do the whole thing.

I did mine for about $3,000.

I've seen them both, you wouldn't know who did which.

And that, despite the headaches, mistakes that you waste time — and a little money — fixing, is why I'd do it myself.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

[​IMG]

Which one's 3BF and which one's Pete? :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted