1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting a bit dusty in here, or TBF is remodeling the bathroom: Final product

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Dec 29, 2009.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Demo'ed the downstairs bathroom last night, and am prepping to paint the walls and trim, install new fixtures and tile the floor.

Only had one major disaster last night -- at about 10 p.m. After turning off the toilet valve, my dumbass proceeded to unscrew the nut BELOW the valve and unleashed a six-foot by 1/2-inch stream of water into the bathroom.

Rigged it to stay last night so we could get ready for bed and finish a load of clothes before we went to bed. Rallied at Home Depot this morning to get help on fixing it. The fix was what I suggested last night, but I just wanted to make sure. Got it fixed this morning.

Problem No. 2: The bathroom mirror was freaking glued to the wall, and I couldn't pull it off. So, I grabbed a hammer and a wood punch, some safety glasses, a long-sleeve shirt and some gloves and went to breakin'.

I'll throw some pictures on facebook and link to them later.

Time to patch the walls up.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Getting a bit dusty in here, or TBF is remodeling the bathroom

Semper Fi....

wait...

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I can't stress enough that you should take this time to smash as much stuff as you possibly can ... easier to haul out the sink in pieces and TREMENDOUSLY satisfying.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Could you swing by my place next? A redo of the main bathroom is our next project.

5. three_bags_full

Well, we survived the day and made some damn good progress.

Got the walls primed and the tile laid. We'll let it set overnight, then paint and hang the new light fixture first thing in the morning. We'll grout the tile later tomorrow morning, then let it cure overnight before reassembling the bathroom on Thursday.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

TBF, I'll soon be there with you.

I'm planning to demo our downstairs bathroom.

I can't wait.

Right now, it's just roughed in (i.e. drains are installed and capped).

But the walls and door are in the wrong places (in my opinion) so I'm ripping them down, adjusting the size, and starting fresh.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This is why God invented this guy. To do bathrooms---and every other room in the house plus the house itself.

[​IMG]

8. three_bags_full

I'm not changing anything structural. I don't have balls anywhere near that size.

I'm just putting lipstick on the pig.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You know, I gotta hand it to guys like you. I'm horrible at that shit---hell, I failed my grade nine woodworking project. Hated it too.

I can change a lightbulb, install a dimmer switch, hang a picture, and, oh, I don't know, paint a room.

But I'm duly impressed with men and women who can do it. Just never had the patience.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Same here.

Luckily, I can cook (somewhat) and do laundry and other shit like that. I'm not totally useless around the house. :D

11. three_bags_full

I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing.

I'm learning as I go.

Hell, if I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't have unscrewed the last nut holding the water out of the house, last night.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I went to hs in the early and mid 60's. Guys went to shop and girls went to home economics. I would have rather done cooking classes any day.

I know a guy from the Goose who, if he saw that last sentence would have posted "That's the fag side of you coming out" :)

Draft saved Draft deleted