1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting a band-aid/filler job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDub, Dec 18, 2008.

1. accguy

accguy Member

I think most people who start looking do so while continuing to work at the paper they've been working at.

Going elsewhere simply invites questions from perspective employers about how and why you are at said place.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

If you want to go in a completely different direction from journalism, becoming a substitute teacher in a lot of states is relatively simple. In Rhode Island, all you need is a bachelor's degree and to fill out about a dozen forms proving you don't have a criminal record, have proper vaccinations, etc. It normally pays between $60 and $100 per day, depending on the district and what you're doing, and since it's in the morning you still have nights free for freelance reporting / writing.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You don't get benefits if you sub, sg.

ND, I wouldn't bail from your job unless you are 100 percent sure you are getting into something you want to do. Leaving for a new place of employment means you're lowest in seniority and possibly easiest to whack (especially at a union workplae) if the economy stays in the hopper.

4. KG

KG Active Member

I'm currently in one of those band-aid/filler jobs. It wasn't meant to last this long, but two promotions later and I'm still there. I'm a bit disgruntled tonight, but it's not a terrible job.

5. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

What industry? What's the job?

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I'd advise you to take whatever you can get QUICKLY, while you look for a good/"real" job. It can take a surprising length of time to find that PR job for which you are seemingly overqualified, etc., in times like these.

And no one in the world will care or notice if you only worked at a retailer or whatever for a couple months between jobs. Any employer who would not hire you because you busted your ass at a retailer in between journalism/PR jobs is an irredeemable ass and will get what's coming to him or her soon enough. Or, you could just leave the interim job off your resume entirely, although I suppose some would say that's wrong as well.

7. lono

lono Active Member

Bartending.

Good money, chance to make some new friends socially.

Draft saved Draft deleted