1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Get your daily dose of a cringe-worthy sportscast

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rumpleforeskin, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

That had to bad for him. Nearly like 'Boom goes the dynamite.'

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Ouch. He got screwed over by his production people, not that he was going to set the world on fire with his broadcast anyways, but that was horrendous work by the technical staff.

3. This broadcast was 15 years ago. Still painful.

http://deadspin.com/5715519/remembering-the-lorchcast-worst-sportscast-ever

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I can't even click the link - hits too close to home.

I had a really bad train wreck several years ago. It was an 8-minute sportscast where 7 of 10 wrong tapes were rolled. When I finally tossed to the package at the end of the 'cast, I just put my head in my hands.

In my defense, the guy who was directing that night... was later fired for drinking on the job.

Don't drink and direct.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

That would be the same one as posted above, didn't realize it was as infamous as it was. I had not seen it before last night. I did enjoy the ending though "Hopefully we'll have more news tomorrow . . . on this station."

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Ha! I turned down a job there back in 2000, knew nothing of this incident. Man, if this is how the place was run, so glad a 23-year old me took a news gig in my hometown instead of working weekend sports/weather (yeah, they wanted me to do BOTH at the same time!) there instead.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Don't forget "Drive safe. Take care."

It's hard to pick a favorite part of this trainwreck, but I'll have to go with right after the 2:00 mark. Lorch appears optimistic the video will work this time. When it doesn't you can see him crying inside.

8. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

This guy had problems doing just weather.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I only anchored in college and it was a trainwreck most of the time. The right tape never rolled, and the prompter was out 80 percent of the time.

10. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

For the love of God guard Merv!

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

YOU GOTTA PUT A BODY ON MERV!

12. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I'm sensing a 'Merv'elous headline in the paper the next day

Draft saved Draft deleted