1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Get with the program, Books A Million

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jun 27, 2011.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

So I'm out and about and decide to stop at Books A Million, thinking "free wifi." It's not a place I go very often. After I buy $4.27 worth of frozen concoction, which was very good, btw, I discover that their wifi is only available to "Millionaire Members", which created a serious disturbance on my time. If I can get free wifi at BN, Starbucks and McDonald's for chrissakes, why haven't you putzes caught up?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Who shops at Books A Million?

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

The townsfolk of Bradenton, Fla.

Other than that, beats me.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

How nationwide is Books A Million?

I've heard of it, but never stepped foot in one. Don't think there's any here. Closest one might be in Toledo.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, they should get with the program and turn themselves into a nice destination where you can camp out and use their services and hang out for hours and never buy their products. Then they'll be rich. It worked for Borders!

6. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

The customer is always right. They should be thankful you provided your own laptop and didn't demand a loaner.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

There is this place called the Local library where you can do that and you don't even have to spend $4 on a drink.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The BAM in Bradenton is one of the few places I enjoyed reading. Lots of furniture.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The wife sees the BAM founders hanging around town sometimes. I'm sure she would be delighted to champion your cause.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Don't have stores in California, and I never heard of them before this thread.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Got a BAM in my town. Will go there before Barnes & Noble. Just like it better.

Hard to see how they stay in business. Place is virtually empty almost any time of day.

Word is that the developer of the shopping center they are in doesn't want to lose an anchor tenant, so the rent they pay is next to nothing, so maybe I just answered my own question.

Plus he likes their coffee and his office is next door.

12. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

my spouse used to be a co-manager at a books-a-million, which is a chain mostly in the southeast but there are stores in certain parts of the country. People used it like the library -- the would come in and pull books and magazines off the shelves to read and basically destroy the store daily, then they'd leave without having bought anything. between that and employees who would just not show up for their shifts, it was a depressing environment in which to work.

Draft saved Draft deleted