1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Get the NY-hype machine ready: '08 Yanks have best young rotation?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I disagree. Lou would kill him after the fifth blown save.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You're probably right, A_QB. With the exception of his early infatuation with Jones (which inexplicably is paying off now), Lou doesn't put up with non-performance. I like how they're using Pie now, for example. Late-inning pinch runner and defensive replacement, and a start or two a week.

3. I know some of you may laugh, but look at the Devil Rays.

Scott Kazmir (23)
    James Shields (25)
    Edwin Jackson (24)

Jackson's win/loss is misleading. He's allowed nine earned runs in his last six starts and looks to be finally living up to his potential. Kazmir and Shields have been awesome since the all-star break.

If No. 1 pick David Price pans out, that's a pretty solid rotation.

Of course, they're devoid of any kind of veteran leadership and their bullpen is crap. Plus, their payroll is Gannett-esque. But still...

4. Good to see Kazmir pitching well again. He was sucking some ass there for awhile.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Verlander (24),
    Bonderman (25),
    Miller (22),
    Jurrjens (21),
    Robertson (30)

and since we're throwing in prospects who have never thrown in the majors, Rick Porcello (18) and Dallas Trahern (22).

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yet another group that has shown more and has at least as much upside as the Yankee quartet of Wang, Hughes, Chamberlain and Kennedy.

Though I'm starting to wonder if Bonderman has another step forward in him. The guy still relies too much on two pitches and once again he is fading in the second half. His ERA is now up to 4.87, putting him on pace to end up with an ERA above 4.50 for the fourth time in five major-league seasons.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

But, when Dempster blows up, he blows up real good. IIRC, the two blown saves this year were coughing up a 4-5 run lead against the Mets in the 9th, and blowing a 2-3 run lead against the Braves. His numbers do show he has had a solid year, and I'll defer to you Cub followers who see him on a regular basis if you say he's your guy. But, I just have a gut feeling he'll end up blowing a key, critical game or games down the line in September that will prove to be ultra-costly. Or worse yet, in October.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

And in terms of the original premise of this thread, I would comment as follows:

[​IMG]

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I have pimped here in the past, but Alan Horne is pretty damn good. He should start next season in Scranton and if someone gets hurt...

10. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I'll admit that Zito is no $126 million pitcher and he is certainly not an ace, but he has pitched very well in August and I think there's hope that his suckiness early in the year was just trouble dealing with the expecations of the contract, and he may bounce back the next year (a la Carlos Beltran). He still could be a better than average No. 3 or No. 4 starter.

You are right about the offense. The question wasn't how many games are they goign to win, though. It's how good will they be.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'm not sure what's funnier:

1) The premise of the thread (Hughes and Kennedy each have ERAs of 9.00 and 8.53 and Chamberlain's in the pen).

2) The spirited defense of Barry Zito.

God bless the interweb for preserving this stuff.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Nice dredge, Poupon

Draft saved Draft deleted