1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Get the NY-hype machine ready: '08 Yanks have best young rotation?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Aug 29, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Though I would like to see this happen, it's a doubtful proposition, especially since Kennedy has yet to throw a pitch in the Bigs yet. But, if these guys turn out to be 75% of what they were expected to be, that would be pretty impressive. Even though this year's free agent market for pitchers is absolutely loaded, here is what the Yanks' rotation might shake out to be come Opening Day '08 (youngest - oldest by O.D.):

• Phil Hughes, RHP (21)
    • Joba Chamberlain, RHP (22)
    • Ian Kennedy, RHP (23)
    • Chien-Ming Wang, RHP (28)
    • Andy Pettitte, LHP (35)

Potential-wise, this is a solid (formidable?) & diverse rotation. What other rotations does this one resemble favorably?

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Um, no, at least on the thread title question.

Santana
    Liriano
    Garza
    Baker
    Bonser

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Cashman seems to know what he's doing. He didn't panic this year and the Yanks have fought back to contention after bveing written off. Realistically, with the lineup they have, they should be at least as good as their record indicates. But the pitching this year has been poor and inconsistent.

But a solid, home grown, young rotation may mean the Yanks will pony up the 30 mil a year for ARod.
    If Cashman lets him go, he'll have bigger balls than Hillary Clinton and Janet Reno, combined.

4. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I'll definitely give you that, but I wasn't trying to make it sound like the Yankees did indeed have the best young rotation. All of Minny's guys have big league innings, but Liriano is coming off Tommy John, so he won't be in his '06 form right away. Plus, the Twins have the misfortune of playing in the hinterlands of Minnesota, a place not really known for hype and media over-reaction (unless you're a stripper-loving, dope-smoking Viking).

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Zambrano (26), Rich Hill (27), Ted Lilly (29, I think), Sean Marshall (mid-20s), 5th starter. Pretty good this year, and proven.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No one is better than Joba. He's a tribute to the human race. He must be preserved in a glass case for all to see.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I like the Cubs rotation, but I'm not sold on Lilly just yet.

Who's the fifth going to be?

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Maybe Marquis, maybe Ryan Dempster, maybe Angel Guzman, maybe ... *snicker* Prior.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Jason Marquis -- Sold American!

I was telling the guy I work with -- who's a huge Cubs fan -- that I really think Dempster's problems are all in his head. Which is no indictment of him. You have to have balls of stone to close with his type of stuff. Maybe starting would be better.

10. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I think the Giants have a shot with Matt Cain (22), Tim Lincecum (23) and Noah Lowry (26) ... not to mention that Zito dude (29) who makes all the money. Their fifth spot is up in the air, I think, and they may end up having to trade Lowry this winter to get some bats, though.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yes, but Zito sucks. His arm has a lot of mileage on it, and it's showed this year. Can't throw strikes, curve is starting to flatten. But I agree on Cain, Lincecum and Lowry. Unfortunately, their offense will be so dogass-awful, I can't see too many of them having decent win-loss records, this year or next.

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Josh Beckett (27)
    Dice-K (26)
    Clay Buchholz (23)
    Jon Lester (23)
    Tim Wakefield (41) will probably be back, but I'm sure Justin Masterson (22) will get some starts sometime in '08

Draft saved Draft deleted