1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Get Smart

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No thread? I even searched and the only thing I found was started two years ago by d_b of all people!
    If there is another one, oh well.

Anyway, The Queen and I had our every-six-months date tonight and went to see this. Overlooking the fact that tickets, two Coke Zeros and a popcorn cost us 38 bucks (or two months of Netflix), it was an enjoyable evening. Funny movie, though I wonder how much those who didn't grow up with Get Smart will appreciate it.

Previews for the Will Ferrell movie - Step Brothers? - looked pretty good, too. Not a massive fan of his but we may make the theater for a movie, not a play, again before summer ends.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I was interested in seeing this the first time I saw the previews (instead I saw Wall*E tonight which was fantastic). I think Carell is the perfect person to play Maxwell Smart. My roommate who saw the preview at the same time thought it looked okay, but also had never heard of Get Smart. I found that very strange.

3. Moderator1

I need to get out more. Sex and The City (no interest) and Forgetting Sarah Marshall (interest) are already gone.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Forgetting Sarah Marshall was very funny.

5. Moderator1

My kid says he can't watch How I Met Your Mother anymore.

6. Me and Mrs. Omar went and caught this one during opening weekend. We found it very funny.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

This is one of those movies that the trailer is really discouraging me from seeing. Then again, I saw numerous Get Smart TV episodes over the years, and Carrell being so different from Don Adams' brilliant clipped delivery is a downside to me wanting to see it. And does the Rock's character have an equivalent on the old TV show?

8. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

He does not, but don't let that discourage you, because Dwayne "no longer The Rock" Johnson is actually quite funny. Carell and Anne Hathaway have good chemistry, too, rivaling Don Adams and Barbara Feldon. They're not trying to outright ripoff the original, because it would be damn near impossible, but there are subtle nods to the TV show (I watched it on Nick at Nite, that's how I know these things) and Carell is about the only actor alive who could pull off playing an updated version of Maxwell Smart.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know he's not the Rock, but I'm lazy.

And the trailer just makes it seems more slapsticky than the TV show, which was just slapsticky enough.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

We went to see it last weekend and really enjoyed it. Carrell was a great choice to play Smart. And I agree that The Rock was pretty good too.

Anybody catch the cameo by Bernie Kopell? He played Siegfried in the TV show.

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Get Smart? Get me Anne Hathaway.

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Presumably, all it will take is being a very handsome, very wealthy financier who's *not* on his way to jail. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted