1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Get rid of the block/charge rule....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Apr 8, 2013.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Its so bad now, so far away from actual defense that they need to eliminate it. This will force players to actually challenge shots and not just jump to a spot. I'm really talking about the secondary help defender.

(If you're an on the ball defender and the guy plows through you on the dribbble, okay that's still a charge. )

I just think the sliding over and standing like a mannequin is just ridiculous; plus the officials end up rewarding players who don't know how to challenge a shot but who can slide over and make it look like they beat the guy to the spot. When was basketball ever meant to be "beat the guy to the spot?" Defense is supposed to be defending the basket right? Further, refs are making the charge call when they are in a bad position and cannot see that the offensive player is moving at an angle where its impossible to be a charge (which is contact right through the middle of the chest, not on the arm or the hip.)

I doubt Wilt ever took a charge, yet you see guys like Dwight Howard and Andrew Bogut trying to draw a charge on Jameer Nelson, that's stupid.

To the powers that be, please eliminate.

2. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

I especially hate when a 5-10 guard slides under a 6-9 power forward he has NO CHANCE to stop, but gets the charge call.

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

If the defender slides over while the offensive player is in mid air and they collide, that is a foul on the defender.
    If the defender slides over before the shooter leaves the ground and then they collide, that is a foul on the offensive player.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That's exactly the problem, why make the decision based on the slide? That's not the essence of basketball.

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Ugh. This is just dumb. What do you do when its eliminated? Anyone who can drive would be unstoppable. A jumpshot would disappear from the game. A charge is no different then a player standing at the top of the key and an offensive player plowing right through for a foul. If a defensive player is established in a spot anywhere on the court they have a right to that spot. A charge just tends to happen under the basket.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

A ridiculous thread and patently absurd suggestion.

Hey, let's just get rid of offensive fouls altogether! Those seeking to score can now just bowl through anyone they want with impunity. Regardless of what happens or why, the call shall henceforth always be on the defensive player--automatically. Awesome.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I agree with your premise, qt, but I don't think you can eliminate the charge. They took a step in the right direction a few years ago with the semi-circle under the basket. They just need to make it a bit bigger.

You're right in that just planting yourself in a spot is not playing defense. Beating an offensive player to a spot should have its reward out on the floor. But not in positions where guys can go up for layups and dunks and you're not in any way challenging the shot.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How is the charge/block not "the essence of basketball"? The rule has been on the books at least as long as I can remember (30+ years) and I'm sure a good long time before that.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I Kerr made a good point that it should not be a 50/50 call. It was very hard to draw a charge 20 years ago. Allow more contact on blocked shots but make it harder to draw a charge. That will even it out.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Admittedly, I threw this out there to spark some debate on this subject and see what the temp would be.

I like Kerr's point(s). I know the refs are human and can make mistakes. In the high profile games (which we can watch on TV), the refs are making calls without being sure something happened and that's just not acceptable.

11. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Officials need to default to calling the block. There were plenty of 'charge' calls in this tournament that really weren't very close.

12. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

These are the first cousins of floppers.

Draft saved Draft deleted