1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Get ready to gag, Tom Clancy fans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Isn't Chris Pine like 25? Zac Efron wasn't available?

2. highlander

highlander Member

3. highlander

highlander Member

Red Storm Rising was my favorite. I think one of the best scenes was pass off and drops by agents in Cardinal of the Kremlin. Mary Pat was a good character too.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Clark killed a bunch of Japanese on a plane? Huh?

Only time I can think of anything close to that was in Debt of Honor when he and Ding blinded pilots coming in for landings. But Ding did the blinding/killing. Clark did bug an airplane in SoAF...

Each book holds fave scenes for me, and for
    most I'm a big enough geek to remember what page they're on.

Red October: The Russian and U.S. crews getting used to each other after they defect. Patriot Games: Ryan's conversations with the Royals. Without Remorse: Nurse (his future wife) seeing Clark's concealed rage in the hospital when the cops show him pics of his dead girlfriend. SoAF: Strangely, it's Clark clueing Mrs. Dr. Ryan in on Buck's family, her clash with Elizabeth Elliott. Debt of Honor: Taking out the Japanese nukes/reuniting Clark and Portagee ("You're fucking dead!"). Exec Orders: Ryan, Robbie & Andrea's late-night talk over drinks which ends with Robbie and Andrea talking about what a good guy "the Boss" is. Clear and Present Danger: Intro to Clark. I could go on and on...

EDIT: I agree, tho, Baldwin was the best Ryan. He's who I see in my mind's eye when I'm reading. Same with Dafoe as Clark and James Earl Jones as Greer.

5. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Pine turns 30 later this summer, and already has a couple of projects in the works, so this won't go into production until next year at the earliest, I'd bet. Baldwin was 32 when Hunt for Red October was released.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Quick: In a battle to the death, Kirk or Ryan? Tag teams with Spock and Clark? :D

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Clark would floss with the other three's entrails. I always imagined Clark to be like a younger version of Michael Ironside or Kurtwood Smith. A total iceman who could kill you five different ways. Without Remorse might be the most underrated Clancy book.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I always thought Ironside too...

9. highlander

highlander Member

Glad to know I'm not the only one who likes Michael Ironside. I loved him in V. He had just a bad ass character. He and his buddy Bear, were tough hombres.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Now, I have no idea who would be Clark. Ironside's a little long in the tooth.
    Hollywood would try to do something stupid like cast The Rock, but he's too physical. Clark needs to be all about the calm controlled attitude.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Willem DaFoe portrayed Clark in Clear and Present Danger. Probably a little to old for the role now though.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Clark needs to be mid-late 30s. Liam Neeson is close but obviously the accent wouldn't work.

Draft saved Draft deleted