1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Get ready to gag, Tom Clancy fans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

There's a new Jack Ryan movie in the works. Yay!

It's not based on any of the Clancy books, and will directly conflict with the accepted Ryan timeline. FFffffffuuuuuuu....

So, let's see. Ryan fresh out of the Marines. Oh, you mean when he had a bad back from the helicopter crash (I'm sure he won't be running around, jumping off shit in this flick) and was supposed to be working for his wife's dad on Wall Street, which leads to Ryan meeting said wife?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I stopped reading Clancy 20 or so years ago after "The Sum of All Fears." There was a half-chapter in that book where it seemed Clancy stepped away from the word processor and Stephen King subbed. But that wasn't the reason. All his subsequent stuff seemed Cold War dated.
  3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What was the last Ryan book -- Red Rabbit?
  4. Killick

Nope (sorta). Teeth of the Tiger (sorta). Jack Ryan is mentioned in passing, but it's Jack Jr.'s stage. The last real Jack Ryan book was Red Rabbit.

I'm always disappointed that they never did anything with Cardinal of the Kremlin.
  5. Killick

Not sure how you got that impression.
    After "Sum of All Fears":

1993 — Without Remorse. Vietnam War-era revisit of the origins of John Clark.
    1994 — Debt of Honor. War with Japan, with U.S and Russia teaming up.
    1996 — Executive Orders. Ryan's president. U.S. suffers biological attack at hands of Iran. (Russia again partners with U.S.)
    1998 — Rainbow Six. Another Clark-centric book, this time as he leads elite paramilitary anti-terrorism team.
    2000 — Bear and the Dragon. War between Russia and China. U.S. teams with Russia.
    2002 — Red Rabbit. Okay, this one's Cold War era. Ryan helps Russian defector escape, saves Pope.
    2003 — Teeth of the Tiger. Ryan is no longer president, but Ryan Jr. joins black organization to eliminate Middle East-based terrorists (based loosely on bin Laden, Al Qaeda).

EDIT: BTW, while looking up those dates, stumbled upon this note... Another Ryan book is finally coming out on Dec. 7. "Dead or Alive" pics up where "Teeth of the Tiger" left off, and features damned near all the characters in the whole freaking Ryaniverse.
  6. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Active Member

My Christmas wish list just began.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I loved Red Storm Rising - I think I read that thing in three days. Wish they did a movie of Rainbow Six.
  8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The Ryan series were always airport books for me. What I didn't finish on the way down, I did on the flight back.
  9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I wish I could find a pic of Clancy with a Viking jacket..

Edit: If you say you have the money to do the deal, best you have it:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. highlander

highlander Member

Call me crazy but Alec Baldwin was the best Jack Ryan. Harrison Ford was just a little too old to me.

I didn't like the Sum of All Fears movie because the plot was changed so much. A nuke, even a low yield one, going off in Baltimore would cause much more trouble, for future timeline's in the series, than the original nuke going off in Denver. I think that was the whole point of having Denver being bomb, plus what is wrong with having Arab terrorists? Seriously, Tom Clancy nailed part of 9/11 at the end of "Debt of Honor."
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The stock market manipulation stuff wasn't too far off either. When they had the supposed "fat finger" mistake on Wall Street a few months back I thought of that book.
    Agreed on Baldwin. It wasn't just his age - but I like the way he played him.
  12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Baldwin looked like an analyst, which was Ryan's character. Ford just looked like an action hero trying to be an analyst. Favorite Clancy book is still Red Storm Rising, but my favorite scene is in Sum of All Fears where Clark kills a bunch of Japanese on a plane. Talk about war crimes.
Draft saved Draft deleted