1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Get ready for lines at the pumps ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Jul 31, 2008.

1. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I never said it wouldn't help. It will help. In 10-15 years, it will cut the price per gallon by a dime. I can't wait.

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I'm still trying to figure out the point of this thread.

Should requiring every American to inflate their tires properly be national energy policy? No. Does anyone with an IQ above that of mayonnaise believe that is what Obama was suggesting in this speech? No.

Is it bad form to drop a reminder of things Americans can do to save gas in a speech? No.

One good point has been made, though: I wouldn't be surprised to see this clip in a McCain commercial. It would be about as substantive as anything else that pathetic campaign has coughed up as of late.

3. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I'm adding that to my registry. Sweet!

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Careful. I'd say you're overinflated right now.

5. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I did a complete service job and ran a test on my mileage:

Before: 25.2 mpg.
    After: 27:1 mpg.

That makes me feel real good when I still paid $58.57 to fill up.

But you go, O. Just another brilliant thought from this godawful presidential race.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Were you expecting them to change the size of your gas tank as well?

You were able to go 2-miles per gallon better. You saved money. How can you knock the guy for being correct?

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

o_t's point is that under a thrifty Obama Administration, he'll have an additional 4 billion gallons of gas per year to use in his Jet-Ski. And his lawn mower. And power boat. And home generator. And RV. And second car. And light plane. And weed whacker. And third car. And ice auger. And air compressor. And cement mixer. And snowmobile. And chainsaw. And ATV. And truck. And to light the barbecue. And so on.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Its not a choice but an obligation for all Americans to keep their automobile tires properly inflated"
    JFK - Cleveland Ohio, 1962

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And it's not a choice but an obligation for all American leaders to support finding more energy.
    Old Tony - 2008

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If only Obama (and most other politicians) would apply this same logic to government in general, we'd be a lot better off.

And on the inflate/not to inflate debate? Because of my commute, I get gas twice a week. Always check my mileage when I do. It varies anywhere from 30-33 mpg. My tires, I think, have little to do with that variance.

11. KP

KP Active Member

O_T what kind of trip did you make? Was it typical work-home-work-errands type stuff or was it part of a long highway trip?

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It was a freeway/highway drive home from vacation. But almost all of my driving is kind of like that. I live out in the country, so to speak, so nearly all of my driving is highway driving.

On the last tank of gas I got 370 miles. I'm normally filling up at about 300 miles, maybe 320 on a good tank. For the current tank I'm down to E right now and at 315 miles

Draft saved Draft deleted