1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Get ready for lines at the pumps ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Jul 31, 2008.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Air pumps, that is.

Holy crap, this guy is really showing himself to be an empty suit. If I'm the McCain campaign, I make sure this clip is seen in campaign commercials from now till the election.

I'd also photoshop a picture to show Obama in a service station suit with a tire gauge in his hand and a caption saying something like, "The solution to our energy problems."

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Keeping your tires properly inflated is probably the easiest and most effective way to get your best gas mileage.

Modern cars don't really do tune ups, though.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Consensus seems to be that proper tire inflation would save the US average motorist around 3% in gasoline consumption.

Daily gasoline consumption in the US: 9,253,000 barrels/day (388.6 million gallons/day)

Properly inflated tires on every car and truck in the country would save us 277,590 bbls of gasoline a day.

Or 101,320,350 bbls of gasoline a year.

Or 4,255,170,000 gallons a year.

Whatever.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Today on SportsJournalists.com: Tony learns about basic car maintenance.

5. old_tony

Today on SJ. Coffeeman acts like people are stupid to cover for Obama's incredible stupidity.

Seeing as I just got a personal record 29 mpg for the last tank of gas on my 9-year-old car (it's rated 26mpg hwy) and have so far gotten 94,000 miles out of this set of tires, I don't think I need to take any tips from you.

6. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Obama should have addressed the biggest problem with checking your tires: change. These days its 75 cents -- quarters only!

I usually have one dime and 1,000 pennies in my change thingy.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, Exxon-Mobil this morning reported an $11.7 billion profit in the second quarter....

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Here you go, Grimace. You have $60 available on your charge card?

http://bontrager.com/model/07176/en

[​IMG]

9. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

A record for any American business. In any field. Ever.

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Which is why we must natinonalize the oil companies! SportsJournalists.commers of the world, unite!

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You could have had significantly more, that's the point.

12. old_tony

Yeah, I should have gotten 50 mpg on a car rated for 26mpg. And I should be getting at least 150,000 miles on a set of tires. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted