1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Get ready for a buncha Tebow and Stafford

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 18, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Deadspin finds the SEC-CBS schedule on Saturdays in the South, which got it from CBS...

Potential exists for Georgia 7 times, LSU 6, Florida 5... Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Vandy -- maybe 1, maybe none.

http://deadspin.com/5038331/cbs-accidentally-leaks-college-football-television-schedule

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Glad to see Navy finally pulling their weight in the conference.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Nice pull for DS, but is anyone surprised CBS wants to show the top teams in the conference more than the bottom?

Just like ESPN, they want the teams that are going to pull in big ratings, which Top 10 teams do.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Perhaps. But if you're the conference's network, should the league also make you obligated to show each team at least once?

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

That's what JP ... Raycom ... Linconln Financial ... whatever the fuck it is now is for.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The league wants highest ratings possible.

Vandy/Miss. State/etc., will not provide it.

There is an SEC regional network for the bottom feeders, mid-level teams and even the occasional heavyweight.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

The good thing is that Chiefs fans will get a chance to see one of the QBs they'll be drafting in the spring.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK, do not the other BCS conferences in their contract with ABC show everyone -- even Duke, Minnesota, Arizona and Iowa State -- at least once.
    I'm not SEC bashing here or being a smart-ass. I'm asking a legitimate question.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I don't know the answer to that, but doesn't ABC show games on a regional basis, so if they're showing Duke or Minnesota, they can show it to the bare minimum audience and show everyone else something else?

CBS just has the SEC, and so it broadcasts one game to the whole country. Outside of the Southeast, no one cares about Vandy/Ole Miss/etc. (I know, I left that one hanging. Go on and hit it out.) That's why the other network deals exist, with ESPN, ESPN2 and the network of the Daves. Those in the Southeast who wanna watch Vandy can do it with the Daves.

(And actually on Yahoo, too, for whatever that's worth.)

As for the actual schedule, there's no way Georgia-Kentucky will be on over Saban's return to LSU. And fuckabuncha CBS for putting Tech-Georgia on at noon.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

There's no way that's a final schedule. It may be what CBS wants/expects/is planning for, but it's not official. I don't know the exact rule, but they've got until something like 10 days before gameday to declare which game they're going to take. It may be verrrry close to what they eventually go with, but you can bet your ass you'll get your fill of (insert crappy team here) if said team starts running the table.

The thing I've always heard (though I don't know if it's a hard-and-fast rule or not) is that the regional network must show each team once a year (or it could be once every two years). That's why UNC-Duke and something like Vandy-Ole Miss has been a TV game here for the last few years. Kill two birds with one stone. The national nets aren't held to the same standard.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I can't honestly remember ever seeing Duke football on ABC. Not sure I've even seen them on ESPN/2 either.

Jefferson Pilot/Lincoln Financial, I think so.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

They get 12 days, meaning they announce it on the Monday. Twice a year, I think, they can use a six-day window. I also believe ESPN has one or two priority picks a year, where they can jump ahead in line and grab a game from CBS. It's widely believed among Georgia fans that Georgia-Alabama will be such a game this year, if only because we never did get an answer as to what Britney is doing with her life.

I think you're right about the regional networks. I believe there may also be a limit on how many times they can show any one given team.

Draft saved Draft deleted