1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Get out the way, we got a Wootoff!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I'm watching a Wii and it's getting into "shitty deal" territory. At about $75, +12.50 for shipping and you have at assume $50 or so spent on bids. (At leasts that's how I'd do it. I want a 32 in TV, and I'd be iwlling to buy 75 bids or whatever, and just consider that a part of the cost.) So, they're still well below the $200 asking price, but approaching it quickly.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

There's one guy flat out determined to buy it. He doesn't even let the clock tick down. He just ups everyone every time. There are maybe 5 bidders at this point and this guy ups them every single time any one of them bids. He has to have spent a fortune on bids.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Wii sold for $107, plus $12.50 shipping. The guy used 300 bids, so in the end spent about $100 more than he would have had he just bought it at Wal Mart. Oops.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My research on Swoopo made it seem less than honest.

You can spend $25 20 times and still never win the bid you really want.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. Swoopo prolly won't get my business. I may try it on a few regular products, nothing glamourous like a PS3 or a nice camera.

The TV I was watching earlier sold for $900, including bids, shipping and auction price. He could have got the same TV for $600-$700 at a store.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

A $170 hard drive just went for $73 with the winner bidding 126 times. He saved about $15.

From Swoopo's angle, they were down $15 from him, but way, way, way up when you considering there were probably three times as many bids, at the very least. If there were a total of 375 bids, they profited about $150 on the deal.

Even if you get a good deal, the company is always going to get a GREAT deal.

Bastards.

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Moddy alert! Get your pistachios!

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If you leave it plugged in all the time or never run it all the way down, your battery life degrades. I run mine down to the 5-10 percent range about once a week.

Oh, good Lord. Wootoff stalls for this.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Sonner is mysteriously absent. He's on Woot.com buying 100 of these right now.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The Peter Cetera song was vey well done.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

.....and the Gateway is on the block.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Didn't take long. Now it's a "Eton Voicelink FR1000 Self Powered Radio with NOAA, 2 Way GMRS, and Flashlight."

Draft saved Draft deleted