1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Get out the breathalyzers in Green Bay

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Sep 11, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Right. None of these alkys have ever showed up loaded during games. Or hungover. They know how to handle their booze.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So Mike Ditka should have gotten fired the second he got a DUI? And we know how bad he was as a coach. ::) Koren Robinson shouldn't be playing in the NFL, but a DUI is not the reason.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The "troubled athlete" is a time bomb waiting to explode, and teams who willingly acquire them deserve what they get.

It's not the job of professional sports franchises to help troubled people get their lives together. That's their problem.

It's the job of professional sports franchises to win goddamn games, and far more often than not, the "troubled athlete" blows up at just the right time to completely destroy that.

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Maybe if Thompson had given that potential tragedy some thought prior to that moment, he might have come to his senses and not been standing there. Because he hadn't, he should have answered, "The blood, or at least some splattering of it, will be on my hands."

Wisconsin's current Attorney General was busted for DUI. If she goes out and kills someone on the highway, "will the blood, or at least some splattering of it" then be on on the hands of all who voted for her?

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Well I imagine the AG would still be living in Wisconsin if she wasn't the AG. I don't think Koren would be looking for a condo in Appleton or anywhere else in Wisconsin if he wasn't on the Packers.

Not that I don't think Christl is reaching with that premise of his column.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The sanctimony of some just drives me nuts. If KoRo pulls another stunt and someone gets killed it falls on him and him only. If the sanctimonious crowd wants to use the standard that it would fall on the Packers, then two-time drunk drivers everywhere else should also be deemed unemployable. Check every two-time drunk driver and see if they're working, then let's all write columns coming down on the companies employing them.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'd be happy to, any old time. Get pinched for drunk driving once, it's a stupid mistake.

Get pinched again, and this time in addition lead cops on a 100-mph chase, it's not a stupid mistake. Your fucking ass should never drive an automobile again, and as far as where you work, the world always needs ditch diggers.

Forgiveness, mercy and understanding. I've had fuckin' enough of them.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So what about the ditch digger who's been pinched twice? Should he never be allowed to dig ditches again?

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Next time Ahman Green beats up his wife, "will the blood, or at least some splattering of it" be on Ted Thompson's hands?

10. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

damn Packs they are going to regert the day they let Walker go.

Draft saved Draft deleted