1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Get off my field!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Jul 18, 2010.

1. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

My nephew is going to play in an AAU national basketball tournament tomorrow. I think I might ask his parents if they're going to call their local paper with the scores.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A 45 minute drive gets you halfway to the nearest Legion opponent in my neck of the woods.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

We only do Little League coverage once the all-star round finals start up for each age bracket. We'll follow each local team through the state meet and regionals and any World Series they may get to... we also have a Big League girls team that's been a perennial fixture at that WS since 2001. People do follow it in my area, but they also understand our limitations.

I'd also wonder what was done to piss off this administrator. Obviously if he's got a bug up his ass, then yeah, any parent calls to the paper get directed right to him.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not just state size, but logistics as well. Gotta squeeze in a vacation sometime before football starts, right? That cuts the number of people in the sports department in half.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

No overtime?
    We're a two-man shop (with some help here and there from our sister paper) but with schieza on vacation, they've allowed me whatever overtime I've needed to make up for not having an extra guy. I took Friday and Saturday off, worked 3 hours today and finished at a tidy 50 hours for the week.
    Again, it's way easier for me to cover things because I only have 30-minute drives (which is rare) to go to games. I guess it's a lot easier to fill a 40-hour week when you have a two-hour drive one way to a game and two hours back.

6. HanSenSE

Yep, there's OT in the budget, but not a lot for travel. We did get some info from a sister paper in that area, so we've got some coverage, which is much better than none!

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I disagree with the anti-Little League coverage...I see far more people at those tournaments than I do at any legion games I cover. When our area hosts the state tourney, we are asked multiple times where out of towners can pick up copies...there is definitely a following for this stuff.

Sounds like our reporter talked with the umpire about being on the field and the ump said he would talk with the admin...they talked and didn't say anything to our reporter, to he thought he was clear to be off in foul territory...until he actually set up there and was yelled at from the top of the press box no less.

I'm going out tonight to attempt the championship round, so we'll see how that goes.

But yes, sometimes you have to shoot through the fence holes...just would have been nice if they could have communicated that to us without embarrassing our reporter.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Little League/Babe Ruth is a big deal when it gets to district/state.

The kids are representing their town or neighborhood, unlike AAU teams and all that rot.

9. HanSenSE

Why do I see someone who goes home after the game and brags to his wife/kids/buddies about putting that "damn liberal media" in its place?

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Asked the admin his side of the story tonight...pretty much the same as what I had described. I talked with him after the game, and he did mention that he preferred that photos were taken only between innings and such...I informed him that I had just shot the entire game and it didn't seem to traumatize anyone :)

I guess he's ignoring all the parents holding up their cell phones from the bleachers.

Oh well, this league hosts only once every 6 or 7 years, so no worries for awhile.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cause you know, that's when all the action is...

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Between innings? What were you supposed to shoot, the kids on the bench picking their noses?

Draft saved Draft deleted