1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Get HDTV from DirecTV? Read this.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by patchs, Jul 9, 2007.

1. patchs

patchs Active Member

Starting Sept. 1, you will need a new B band converter (BBC) to get DTV's new HD channels.
    No BBC, no HDTV.
    The BBC is a little box (3 inches long, 1 inch thick) that screws into the back of your receiver.
    You may already have 1 in the box your receiver came in.
    You can order them for free from DTV's site.
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=P4200018

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Turn on the telly ....
    [​IMG]

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

This is if you have the Directv model. I have a TiVo HD receiver, so am probably out of luck. That is unless I buy up to their model, which I'll have to do sooner or later when that TiVo-Directv contract runs out. Sigh.

4. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

lantaur,

Depending on how long you have been with Direct TV, you may be able to get the new reciever/DVR (the HR-20 model) for 19.95.

Some people have been told they have to sign up for 2 more years to get that price, others have not.

More info here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=36

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

Yeah baby!!!
    Love HD on DTV.

6. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

How many channels are they adding? I have Dish Network and over 20 HD channels.

7. lantaur

They are going to have over 100 channels come September.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's any relation . . . but half my HD channels dropped off over the weekend (HBO, Showtime, TNT, HDN movies).

To which my question is:

How many of these channels will I actually be able to watch without my HD receiver resetting itself every 10 minutes?

9. lantaur

BTE: What kind of receiver do you have? Mine rarely conks out, but if I have to get a new one ...

Anyway, here's what Directv is promising:
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=P4310090

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's the H20 from DirecTV.

They say they are aware of the problem this receiver has with resetting itself, but so far no solutions seem to be forthcoming.

11. lantaur

Hmm, interesting. I'll probably wait until next year and see if they work out the kinks before swapping out my TiVo. Plus, I've had problems with Directv when switching out receivers and don't want to see my Sunday Ticket package go away (as they did once before, among other things).

12. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

That lineup blows away my current cable HD lineup, which is pretty good.

Draft saved Draft deleted