1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Germany out to pump up Bush poll ratings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twoback, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-6898230,00.html

Wednesday September 5, 2007 4:31 PM

By DAVID McHUGH

Associated Press Writer

BERLIN (AP) - Three suspected Islamic terrorists from an al-Qaida-influenced group nursing ``profound hatred of U.S. citizens'' were arrested on suspicious of plotting imminent, massive bomb attacks on U.S. facilities in Germany, prosecutors said Wednesday.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I wish I could be that cynical, but I can't.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Such cynicism is why most Americans simply can't trust the dems when it comes to national security. Instead of being glad that Germany caught these guys, twoback is more worried about it helping to make Bush look right. It's like he doesn't even believe there are folks out there who want to hurt us.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so the answer is sending thousands and thousands of kids off to their deaths searching the sand for WMD? solid reply tony.

5. http://salon.com/opinion/blumenthal/2007/09/06/bush_wmd/

This is why I'm cynical.
    Part of it, anyway.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

tony's president wanted to invade iraq the day the towers went down. i think dumb dumb had a bit of an agenda.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Are you that goofy as to not realize the thread title is sarcastic?

8. I think I speak for much of the class when I say, yes, he is.

UPDATE -- This also makes me cynical, from today's WaPo story on the differing calculations of Iraqi violence.

The intelligence community has its own problems with military calculations. Intelligence analysts computing aggregate levels of violence against civilians for the NIE puzzled over how the military designated attacks as combat, sectarian or criminal, according to one senior intelligence official in Washington. "If a bullet went through the back of the head, it's sectarian," the official said. "If it went through the front, it's criminal."

9. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

I almost started a thread about the suspected-terrorists-roundup here yesterday morning, but I figured it would be viewed by board people perhaps as me tooting my own horn or somesuch. (I work in public affairs here near Ramstein)
    So I didn't.
    Now, two days later and following a sarcastic new thread title, I'm actually glad I didn't start things off.
    The old school of thought which says, "Until something in the terrorist realm happens to me, I don't care about it" is still alive and well in the U.S. and with much of the U.S. media.
    This thread really has no meat to it.
    It ought to be deleted, or discontinued.

10. Excuse me?
    People in NYC and NJ have lived through half-a-dozen phony terror "plots," and the whole country has been victimized by six years of politicized terror "alerts", and that's not even to mention the people in DC who lived through an actual terrorist event -- the anthrax killings -- that remains curiously unsolved.
    So, yes, we've earned a little skepticism about the people running the country.

11. KG

KG Active Member

No one ever mentions the anthrax killings. The only thing anyone wants to talk about these days is the lack of WMD. It's been so long since the anthrax killings were mentioned that even I don't think about them anymore, which isn't a good thing.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

When Bush decides that protecting citizens becomes a priority I will begin to believe that there is a threat. Last time I checked, Bush slashed the amount of money that went to NJ and NYC while upping it places like Ohio and Wyoming. It doesn't matter that NJ has the most dangerous 6-mile stretch in America or that NYC is the number 1 target in the world to him. Thus, it shouldn't matter to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted