1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gerald Ford

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by donaugust, Dec 27, 2006.

1. donaugust

donaugust Member

Anyone running anything on Gerald Ford in the sports section tonight or tomorrow?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not here. News side is taking it all, as they should be.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Wonder if Mitch Albom will have something on Ford in a day or two?

Also, now the Wolverines have two more reasons for them to win the Rose Bowl

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Too late tonight. I would hope somebody (hello, AP?) would develop an appropriate sidebar sometime between now and the funeral. Doug Ferguson could probably dash off 2,000 words about Ford and golf right now.

5. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Here's a possible connection -- Ford was still the president when Tiger was born in '76.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There will probably be folos today about Ford's Michigan days (playing without a helmet, no less) as well as the obligatory Fergie golf piece.

7. My guess is, Lyndon's snark aside, Ford never played a game without a helmet.
    RIP to one of the last of the Not Insane.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not that those helmets did much good. My great-uncle played at Michigan 15 years after Ford, and the docs said his dementia pugilistica was caused by too many undiagnosed concussions during his football days.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Yes he was... but Tiger was born in '75.

As for Ford, hard to argue with his athleticism. Aside from his football activities at Michigan, he skiied into his late 70s and played golf this side of forever. He played at the Bob Hope Chrysler Classic for 23 years, most famously in 1995, when he played with Presidents GHW Bush and Clinton and Bob Hope in a memorable fivesome.

Trivia question: who was the pro who played in that group?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"Another Person I Didn't Meet in St. Louis"

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

Craig Stadler?

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Scott Hoch, who the hell is Scott Hoch?
    Anyway, I cheated.
    From bhcc.com
    The biggest single news event at the Classic during the '90's didn't even involve the world's top professionals. In 1995, the team of President Bill Clinton, President George Bush, President Gerald R. Ford, Tournament Host Bob Hope and defending champion Scott Hoch teed it up for the tournament's opening round (with the White House Press Corps and 25,000 fans following behind). This historic day was the first time a sitting president had played during a PGA TOUR event and perhaps the first time three presidents had played together — ever.

Edit: If AP does move something on Ford and golf, this will be it. Last I saw was something about his playing days at Michigan.

Draft saved Draft deleted