1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gerald Ford RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Dec 26, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The RIGHT thing? Right as in GOP, not right as in correct...

But you are right about the Rose Bowl...

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

DAMNIT!!! How could I forget that?!?

Well done.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

One line that jumped out at me in the obit...big difference between then and now.

Even as president, Ford often talked with reporters several times a day.

that, uhh, will not be said about the current occupant.

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I would say at this time of night, and especially this week, the cable newsers are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

5. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Who know who I feel for in most of this? James Brown. James probably ought have a couple days of national mourning all to himself. And then the damn president dies. Just like when Carroll O'Connor died the day after John Lee Hooker.

Just another example of the man keeping the brothers down.

In all seriousness, RIP.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Why not? You answered your own question. When a president dies, it transcends all levels (especially when he had the sports background Ford had) ... not that difficult to put together a two- to three-minute sports retrospective in advance for a 93-year-old former president.

And it's ESPN ... for all the stupid shit they do, they still are on top of things at a moment's notice.

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

the fact that slappy leaves work and first thing he does when he gets home is log back on to SportsJournalists.com kind of worries me.
    RIP Gerald Ford
    Or news side simply killed one story on 1A and is plugging to fit. unbelievable lazy.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

As a lifelong Democrat, even I agreed with pardoning Nixon. Putting him in jail would have made him a martyr, after what would have been a circus of a trial. It was time to move along.

Him pardoning Nixon was akin to Carter giving amnesty to Vietnam-era draft dodgers. Tough call, but the right call as far as doing the right thing, helping heal the country, and get it moving forward again.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Exactly. Don't forget this hit the wire at 11:53 p.m. on the east coast. This is one of the latest (time-wise) big-name deaths in recent memory. Reagan and the pope were both relatively early in the afternoon.

10. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

What was weird today was "Dazed and Confused" was on. There's a Gerald Ford reference in there about him being on the Warren Commission.

Eerie.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Ford had just become the longest living president on Nov. 12, living longer than Reagan.

12. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Joe Paterno.

Draft saved Draft deleted